Chapter 37-New Year's Eve

With the entire band, except Jake, being snowed in back home, that left a lot of obligations solely on his plate. I felt kind of bad watching him scramble around to get to all these meetings and networking events that needed to be done, but he handled it all so well, without a single falter or complaint. He ended up staying with me most nights because my apartment "felt less empty" than his did without his twin.

"I feel bad leaving you here...especially on New Year's Eve," he whined from the bathroom where he was fussing with his hair and clothes in the mirror, looking for just the right amount of casual, disheveled handsomeness.

"Jake, it's fine...Go without me," I pleaded from my spot on the couch, cocooned in my coziest blanket. The tv was playing reruns of That 70s Show, and the laugh track made echoed through the quiet apartment.

After he walked into the living room, he leaned in and kissed my forehead gently. "You do feel warm, babe...are you sure? I really don't mind to cancel and stay home with you," he lied sweetly. He had been looking forward to this particular meeting for days, and we both knew it. He was supposed to meet the label executives at this fancy pub and discuss the potential of an EP.

"Don't make me get off this couch just to force you out the door," I teased as I swatted at him, effectively running him off as he giggled and stepped back.

"Fine, I'm going, I'm going," he held his hands up defensively as he backed towards the door laughing. I blew him a kiss as he opened the door, and giggled as he grinned and pretended to line his face up with the kiss's invisible path so he could catch it on his cheek. "Feel better, love, and call me if you need anything," he added before he stepped out the door and left, leaving me alone in my apartment.

I picked up my phone, sending Jake a reminder to be careful in the snow even if it's melting. I tried not to let my feelings or ego feel hurt over the fact that I hadn't heard from Sam. He's just enjoying time with his family. I'm the one that blew up on him and then ignored him before bailing. I should have apologized before now, but at this point I didn't know where to begin, and it felt like a cop out to apologize to him over a text.

Needing a distraction, I forced myself off the couch, dragging my blanket cocoon with me into the kitchen to raid the stash of liquor we kept in the back of the fridge. I grabbed a bottle of whiskey that probably belonged to Jake, and carried it back to the couch. I spent hours sipping and giggling at That 70s Show, only to be startled by a gentle knock on the door.

That didn't make sense. Jake had my keys in case I was asleep when he came back, and Sam had his own keys... I stood up and waddled to the door just to peek through the peep hole and spy a nervous Sammy with a pink nose and rosy cheeks. My heart fluttered as I flung the door open and threw my arms around him. He stumbled backwards in surprise, but his signature staccato laugh bubbled out of him. "I missed you too, Quinnie," he struggled to say because of how tight I was squeezing him.

After a moment of silence, we both started apologizing over each other only pausing to laugh. "Why don't we just go inside? It's cold," I smiled as I reached out to take his hand. He nodded and leaned in to kiss me. My breath hitched and my heart started to race. I pulled away abruptly, "Sammy, I don't want to get you sick."

He shook his head and leaned in to finish our kiss before mumbling, "I don't care." He flashed me a devilish grin as he scooped me up and stepped inside, kicking the door shut behind him. I giggled as he carried me over to the couch and sat me down before he kicked off his shoes.

"I didn't think you'd be home in time for New Year's," I admitted as he sat down beside me.

"Are you kidding? I wouldn't miss a chance to ring in the New Year with my girl," he elbowed me in the ribs as he grinned even wider. My cheeks burned but I couldn't turn away.