Chapter 34-Just Us

"Do they all hate me now?" I groaned as Jake sat down beside me on the foot of his bed. I could already feel tears stinging my eyes as they threatened to fall. He scooted closer, wrapping his arm around me and holding me until I laid my head on his shoulder.

"Of course not, love," he sighed, rubbing little circles on my lower back to soothe me. "I just explained that you and Sammy have a complicated friendship, and left it at that...I hope that's okay?" He sounded nervous now, and that made me smile. It wasn't exactly the truth, but it certainly wasn't a lie either. Maybe half truths were safer for now.

"Thank you," I mumbled softly before turning into him and throwing my arms around his middle. I could hear the guests arriving downstairs, and knew we needed to head down soon. "Do you think food is ready? I'm starving.." I admitted as I looked up at him with a weak smile. He quirked an eyebrow at me as he grinned wide.

"I think I could scrounge up something for my beautiful girl," he purred as he stood, pulling me to my feet. I quickly gave myself the once over in his full length door mirror. Without knowing the dress code for a Kiszka Christmas party, I opted for a deep green velvet wrap dress that landed right above my knees with a deep v-neck and long, bell sleeves. I paired it with an emerald on a long silver chain, and a few of my favorite silver rings. I didn't have many shoe options with me, so I had to go with the red pointed-toe heels. I carefully pinned back my bangs before turning to see that Jake was beaming at me. I giggled as he stepped closer and took my hand in his, leading me down the stairs. He had gone with a pair of gray herringbone pleated pants, a ratty pair of brown boots, and a black button up shirt that only had the bottom two buttons done up. He left it partially untucked, which only elevated is effortless rock god beauty...especially with his hair down and messy. He wore his usual rings and bracelets with a long pirate coin necklace that jingled as he walked.

"What are you smiling at, love?" He asked slyly when he caught me admiring him quietly.

"Just some guy," I teased as we stepped off the bottom step into the chaos of the party.

"It's about time you two join us!" Josh shouted as his half empty drink sloshed in his hand. "Don't worry, everyone! Jake and the lovely Quinn have finally graced us with their presence," he announced with a flourish, only spilling a little bit more of his drink as he laughed and looked around to see if anyone else found him amusing. I caught Danny and Sam shaking their heads in unison as they sat on the couch chatting.

"There you are!" Karen swooped in swiftly and placed her hand on my shoulder, pulling me away from Jake. "Quinn, dear, you look beautiful! I just wanted to apologize for my boys. I know they're a handful, but—"

"It's okay, Mrs. Kiszka. They're sweet boys, and I feel lucky to know them," I cut her off as gently as I could trying to avoid any awkward explanations. She smiled and hugged me tight. "Thank you," I mumbled into her shoulder, which caused her to laugh.

"Go have fun, sweet girl! Drinks are in the kitchen, and there's music all over," she laughed as she spoke before patting my shoulder and wandering away. I glanced around, looking for a familiar face, only to see Jake pouring drinks in the kitchen.

"Hi, Jakey," I said sweetly as I walked up behind him and put my arms around him. He giggled and held up a glass of vodka cranberry. "Mmm thank you!" I replied as I accepted the glass and took a sip. He spun around and put his hands on my hips, pulling me into him and pinning himself against the counter. I sat my drink down behind him and held his face in my hands, gently caressing before leaving in to kiss him sweetly. His tongue grazed across my lower lip, and I opened for him, moaning quietly as my tongue danced with his.

"Jake! The table is open! Are you ready to get your ass kicked?" Danny's voice boomed from the dining room where he and Sammy were already drunkenly giggling as they set up the cups for beer pong. Jake groaned before pulling away and smiling at me at me. I started to protest, but he just shrugged and began playfully pulling me towards his two younger brothers.