Chapter 28-Mystery Girl

"Fuck, it's cold!" I said as I shivered walking to the car, glancing up at the gray wintery sky. I should have known it would be cold since it's December now.. Sammy giggled as he opened the car door for me, handing me the keys.

"Start the car and crank the heat, I'm going back for our coats," he said with a grin. "I didn't realize it was this cold.." he added softly. I leaned over to start the car, quickly rolling down his window before he made it to the door.

"Can you grab my beanie? It's on my dresser.." I called after him as he walked away. He raised his hand over his head giving me a thumbs up. I scanned through the radio stations trying to find something worth listening to, and my heart stopped when I heard the familiar notes of Safari Song. I giddily sang along, turning up the volume until Sam climbed in blushing.

"I can't believe an actual radio station is playing our music.." He said nervously before I leaned over to kiss his cheek.

"You guys work so hard...you deserve all the recognition," I replied as I tucked a strand of hair behind his ear. He blushed wildly as he glanced over to me. "I'm so proud of you, Sammy," I added with a smile as I reached over and squeezed his leg gently.

"Thank you, Quinnie," he replied as he nervously raked his fingers through his hair. He licked his lips as he glanced over to me and back to the road, clearly more nervous than I'd seen him before.

Before long, we pulled into the parking lot of a super fancy restaurant that I never expected to go to, let alone go with Sammy. He beamed at me as he unbuckled, relishing the look of surprise and excitement on my face. "I can't even pronounce the name of this place," I said with a giggle as we walked towards the front door holding hands.

"It's supposed to be really good," he paused as he swallowed. "All the reviews say so anyway, I've never been..." he finished and I could feel him fighting the urge to fidget as we walked in. This place was certainly not his usual vibe, with its high ceilings dripping with crystal chandeliers that set a very romantic mood. Everything looked warm and inviting, and expensive. Very expensive. I looked around the room, suddenly nervous myself. Our clothes fit in, but the only other people our age were the staff, and most of them were still at least a year or two older than us.

"Sammy, this place..." I couldn't even finish my thought as we both marveled at the opulent atmosphere and all the delicious smells wafting from the kitchen.

"I know," he whispered as he pulled me closer, wrapping his arm around my waist and beaming as we waited in line to speak with the hostess. All of the staff looked similar wearing black dress pants, white button up shirts, and a black bow tie. The women all had their hair pulled back into a low bun with bright red lips.

"Bonjour! Welcome to Nourriture Chère. Do you have a reservation?" The hostess asked once we reached her as she wiped down the two menus she held.

"Uh, sorry. Yes, it should be under Kiszka," Sam managed, and I sympathized with his nerves when the lady looked down at her book and frowned.

"I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing you on the list for tonight," she said with a smile. I leaned in to Sam's side, looking up at him trying to let him know it was okay, but I could see his frustration growing.

"You must be mistaken, miss. I called nearly a week ago and set up this reservation for tonight..." he replied steadily. The hostess looked over the books again, flipping through a few pages until she pointed at one name.

"Ah! I see, Kiszka. Party of 2?" She asked with a smile, and a wave of relief washed over us both.

"Yes! Thank you!" Sam replied with a wide smile, squeezing me tight and stealing a quick glance down at me.