Chapter 17-Yes!

"You okay, Quinnie?" Sam asked as he found me sitting in my car. Jake had decided to ride back with Danny and Josh, and I honestly thought Sam had too. He climbed in the passenger seat and sat quietly watching me and waiting for an answer.

"Yeah, I'm alright," I replied softly, turning to see him smiling sympathetically. "I thought you guys all decided to ride back together?" My voice came out more shaky and uncertain than expected.

"I was going to ride with them to let you and Jake have some time alone, but then he showed up so I wanted to come check on you...is it okay if I ride home with you?" His voice was always so soothing to me and the way he spoke was always so thoughtful. I smiled back at him as I buckled my seatbelt.

"Thank you, Sammy," it came out as nearly a whisper, but I knew he heard it. He nodded and buckled up before turning on his music again. Friend Of The Devil by the Grateful Dead came on, and I couldn't help but smile.

When we got home after the long day, we both collapsed onto the couch, kicking our shoes off in the middle of the floor and just sitting in the silence for a moment. I stood up to get ready for bed, just eager to have the day end. "Where you going, Quinnie?" Sam asked as I began to walk away.

"I'm going to go shower and get ready for bed, is that okay with you?" I teased as I smiled at his concerned face.

"Yeah, but will you watch a movie with me? I'll make popcorn," he beamed at me until I nodded then he let out a quiet, "Yes!" I giggled as I walked into the bathroom.

After I took a quick shower, I threw on a pair of gray cotton shorts and a long sleeve t-shirt. Then, I gathered the clothes from my hamper and floor, tossing them in the washer and starting it before walking back into the bathroom.  I grabbed a headband from the counter and pushed my hair out of my face so I could use my face mask.

"Quinnie, you're taking forever," Sam whined from the living room.

"Just a minute!" I yelled before I began applying the green mask to my face with a flat brush.

"Can I try?" Sam appeared in the open door as he leaned against the frame smiling. He had already changed into a pair of sweats with no shirt or shoes on. I laughed and shrugged, handing him the container and brush. He began painting my face with it, always careful to avoid my hair line and eyes. I scrunched up my nose when the bristles of the brush tickled me, which caused Sam to chuckle.

"Your turn," I wiggled my eyebrows and smirked as I took the mask stuff back. He widened his eyes before laughing and pulling up his hair. He was almost too tall for me to reach his face properly, and without warning he lifted me by my hips onto the bathroom counter. The movement and new closeness of him standing between my legs caught me off guard. He flashed an apologetic smile and the tension eased. I applied a thin layer of the mask to his cheeks, forehead, and chin.

"It tickles!" He whined as he wiggled. I couldn't contain my laughter so I used one hand to hold his chin steady as I finished applying the mask. "Can we go watch the movie now?" He asked in a fake annoyed tone before smirking at me. I groaned and followed him into the living room. We took a seat on the couch beside each other, as he pressed play on his selection. He held out the bowl of popcorn, and I grabbed a handful, absentmindedly snacking as I became engrossed in the movie. He had chosen a thriller, and even though we had to pause it halfway through to wash the masks off our faces, by the end we were both clinging to each other under a blanket in the middle of the couch with the bowl of popcorn flung to the floor.

"That was a terrible movie choice!" I said loudly and playfully once it finally ended. I playfully shoved him into the couch as I stood up to fold the blanket.