Chapter Forty Six

Story: Moira
Chapter Forty Six: Deserving

Harry walked out of the bank, his hood still on. Although the clothing covered his face, he felt differently cold. It was not the weather which was freezing him; it was the words he spoke to his better half which made him feel ice hearted.

He absent-mindedly walked to the alley where they had Apparated into and found Ginny, slumped down on the ground, her arms tightly around herself. She was shaking with sobs and with a sigh, he walked into the darkness, simultaneously casting privacy charms around them. When he was sure no one would be able to see them, thanks to the notice-me-not charms, he took off his hood and placed a hand on her shoulder.

Before he could even utter a single word, he was pushed back to the ground and showers of punches hit his chest. He did not cry out in pain; he was numb already. He let her inflict as much damage as she virtually could before slowly taking an hold of her hands and gently pulling them down.

"I'm sorry, Ginny. I did not want the whole world and you to perish at my cost," he whispered as she shook with violent and inaudible sobs. "I've never really been a good guy. Never been a hero. Being a dark wizard all my life, I'd rather die than let you perish along with the world. You know it, Death is cruel. He would keep to his word and I had no choice. You saw Giselle. She died, trying to protect Godric. I would have done the same. The very same. . .you would have lost only one insignificant, vile and useless life unlike Godric who lost three of his closed ones –"

"Insignificant, vile and useless life! Yes, Harry! Yes! You are truly insignificant and vile and completely useless!" she exclaimed, looking at him after a long time. Unshed tears shone in her eyes; despite the darkness, he could see them. Harry felt his own eyes burn with tears. "How –? How could you even think that?"

"I deserve hell, Ginny. I have murdered people for fun; tortured others for thrill; done other uncountable dark curses to several others. I don't deserve heaven. . . Hell, I don't even deserve you!" he retorted, finally letting the tears fall.

It had been, probably, the first time he had cried in his lifetime.

"You don't deserve hell. . . You deserve so much more. . . Just your intention of saving the world at the cost of your own life is enough to tell me that," Ginny whispered. Harry was at a loss to say anything so he kept quiet. "I don't know what I would have done if you – you left me too. . ."

Without waiting for anything, he pulled her closer and hugged her with every inch of his fibre. "I don't want to leave you. . ."

Silence reigned for several minutes before the pair, under disguise, walked to Florean Fortescue's ice cream and bought themselves a treat as well as a parcel for Draco, Astoria and Charlie.

__________________

"Damn it."

"Shut it, Draco."

"Just because you look like Ginny doesn't mean you have to act like her."

"Just because I look like Ginny and you can't snog me doesn't mean you have to swear like hell. To your statement, I must act like her lest someone gets a doubt, you blithering idiot."

Draco sighed. He and 'Ginny' were in the lawn, spending quality 'sibling time' with each other before the party was set to begin. Everyone at the house (except the oblivious ones) had already become suspicious with the amount of time the two 'siblings in all but blood' were spending together; so much so that Ron was peeking from a rose bush. This, as expected, caused him to get pricked and bleed. On top of that, Charlie was acting awkward, fuelling the suspicions.