Chapter Seven

Story: Moira
Chapter Seven: Losing Control

Next morning, Harry slept in. He was usually an early riser and the only times he did sleep in, they were on particular occasions. The last time he did, he was hit with a powerful cruciatus curse for two minutes by his master as a part of his training. Ron even tried waking him up but the response to his calls was getting punched in the gut by his pseudo-brother.

When Harry finally woke up on his own, it was almost lunch time. He quickly freshened up and left the ship for lunch. After lunch, he decided to forget the memories of the previous day, so he walked to the grounds and hid behind a tree. When he was sure no one was near, he transformed into his animagus self.

__________________________

High above the ground, a black bird circled the castle, keenly observing the living and non-living alike. It swooped down to the lake, letting the water slightly wet its talons. The huge squid came up to the surface. Swiftly the raven rose above, one talon below the other to balance against the rush of wind which rustled its black feathers. It finally stopped, nearly fifty feet above the ground and noticed a person flying on a broom. Wanting to know who the person was, it started nearing the figure but was suddenly slashed across by a red ball of flame. It backed away and its green eyes widened at the bird facing it.

It was a magnificent phoenix. Its tail was aflame and its eyes a deep red. It squeaked then charged towards the raven. The latter managed to dodge once, but the phoenix was too fast for it to dodge the third time. Losing its balance, the raven started swiveling at top speed towards the ground, the phoenix hot at its tail. With a loud thud, the black bird crashed onto the ground, almost forming a crater. The phoenix was about to land on the black bird's body but a voice stopped it.

"FAWKES! STOP IT! PLEASE!" the voice was Ginny's. She dismounted her broom and ran towards the two birds. The phoenix looked imploringly at her. "What has this raven done to you?" she asked, whipping her wand out and inspecting the still raven. Fawkes the phoenix crooned lowly. "No Fawkes, attacking someone is not the solution. Master has always taught us to be non-violent. You are a bird of purity. Leave this raven alone and go back to Master's office."

Fawkes flew away reluctantly and Ginny placed a hand on the raven's wings. She gasped and withdrew her hand when the raven suddenly changed into a boy.

"Harry?!"

"Ruddy red chicken," Harry swore, clutching his right arm.

"Y-you are an animagus?" Ginny asked. Harry sighed in response. He could not help but transform back lest his injuries get the better of his raven form.

"Didn't you just witness it?"

"But why did Fawkes attack you? He's a really peaceful bird," Ginny asked, more to herself.

"Phoenixes and ravens are supposedly enemies. Or Dumbledore would have ordered it to attack – Ow!" Harry exclaimed as she hit his arm. "It is already broken, girl!"

"Sorry, not sorry. Headmaster Dumbledore would never hurt anyone!"

"You are his disciple, aren't you?!" Harry shouted, his naked green eyes meeting her brown ones.

"What if I am?"

"He has trained you to destroy me. I know your intentions now. The ruddy bird made it clear."

"Harry, it – it's nothing –"

"You can't fool me, Weasley. Sending anonymous letters, stalking for information, letting him lose control over his emotions, then finishing off the person, eh? I've grown into a more evil person than you and Dumbledore combined are!" Harry said harshly. Ginny bit her lower lip then moved her hand to hold his. He quickly withdrew his hand and backed away. "What are you playing at?!"