| 31 |

A small frown spread on my face as I set my course for the way home. Standing by the school gates was a girl way too small to attend the school, and she surely wasn't wearing our uniform. Instead... she was wearing the uniform of the catholic girls' school that laid at least a twenty minutes walk away from our school.

"Mary?" I questioned hesitantly as I approached the girl, and once she looked up at me I was assured she was Jungwon's sister, "I can call you Mary too, right?"

"You're Johnny's girlfriend," she commented and I slowly nodded at her.

"What are you doing here?" I softly questioned her.

"Johnny told me he would walk home with me from school today, but he didn't pick me up at school," she muttered as she looked around and I quickly crouched down to her height.

"Oh I'm so sorry, but Johnny felt sick during lunch today and went home," I excused to her, "do you want me to walk you home?"

"Will you?" she questioned and I immediately nodded at her.

"I'll even carry your bag for you," I assured with a wide smile.

Never before had I seen such a small girl take off her bag so quickly and hand it to me. As I stood up I took her bag into my hand and extended my other towards her. She immediately grabbed my hand and took the lead in showing me the way to her house, even though I probably were able to find the way no matter where in town I was.

"You made those cookies, right?" Mary questioned and I hummed with a small nod, "Johnny said so. He said it was a pretty girl, who had baked them from me. He knows a few girls, but you're by far the prettiest."

"Thank you," I smiled down at her, "and can I just say that those pigtails are the prettiest I've seen in a long time."

"Really? I ask Johnny to do my hair each morning, he always says he's bad at doing my hair, but I like it," Mary happily informed as she looked up at me with sparkling eyes.

"When's your birthday? Maybe I'll gift you some more cookies by then," I pointed out and she immediately grinned wider up at me.

"I'm turning seven on November 11th!" she happily stated and I chuckled softly down at her.

"I'll keep in mind to bake you cookies for your birthday," I assured her and she immediately jumped happily in her spot.

"I like you, Johnny's girlfriend," she happily spoke and I smiled widely down at her as we entered Great Homer Street.

"My name's Jillian," I softly spoke and she looked up at me with sparkling eyes.

"That's like a princess name!" she exclaimed and I smiled slightly, "will you stay and have a tea party with me?"

"Hmm... maybe. I think I'm gonna go check if your brother is alright first," I pointed out and she immediately nodded as we reached number 17.

Mary quickly opened the door and happily jumped in as I waited outside the door, watching as she happily yelled into the house.

"I'm home pa!" she happily exclaimed and soon enough the broad figure of her father entered the front hall.

"Who's this?" he immediately questioned as Mary ran up to hug him while he just stared at me.

"That's Jillian! Johnny's girlfriend," Mary replied as if it was obvious.

"Pleasure to meet you sir," I smiled slightly and he only huffed as he glanced me up and down.

"This is what he amounts to? He could've at least chosen that blonde girl, Tiffany or whatever her name is," he grunted before frowning slightly, "I didn't know he had a thing for boring prudes."

"She's like a princess," Mary insisted and I smiled softly at her, despite the things her father just had said about me.

"If you don't mind sir, Johnny went home in the lunch break today because he felt ill. Would you mind if I check on him?" I questioned carefully as I placed Mary's bag down beside the door, "I bring some homework."

"I don't care what that boy does," he simply grunted and I immediately nodded before rushing inside and up the stairs, "keep the door open! I don't want him to have any pleasures."

"Of course," I assured as I rushed up the stairs and towards the room I recalled as Jungwon's.

I hesitantly knocked on the door before creaking the door open enough for my head just to pop in. The moment I poked my head in I was met by an empty room, that is until I turned my head and looked over behind the door, to see Jungwon standing there with a funny look on his face.

"How did you- what- wait... why are you here?" he spoke hesitantly as I stepped into his room, leaving the door open as mr. Baker had requested.

"You had promised to walk Mary home," I shrugged and glanced out onto the slim hallway outside of his room.

"Ah shit that was today," he realized before frantically looking through the drawers under his bed, "I better apologize and-"

"She's not disappointed Jungwon," I chuckled softly and he immediately stopped before turning to me with a frown, "I walked her home and we had some small talk. She seemed quite happy and joyful."

"Really?" he questioned and I nodded immediately, "ah, that's a relief."

He immediately reached over to close the door, while I quickly stopped it before it slammed completely. Once again Jungwon gave me a funny look.

"I had to promise that the door would stay open," I excused quietly and he slowly nodded at me, "are you feeling better now?"

"Yeah..." he trailed off before getting up on his feet and closing the door anyways, just as I was about to protest against it, "I'll tell him you already went home if he comes in to check. I don't feel too sick now."

"But it was quite sudden," I pointed out and he nodded quietly, "did you have a fever?"

"No... no," he shook his head before sitting down on his bed, grabbing my arm to pull me down and sit beside him, "I uhm... chalked it up to just having been too long between a cig."

"Then you should've gone out and smoked in the lunch break," I pointed out and he just shook his head, "but if that was what you needed-"

"I'm trying to get down to only one a day," he shook his head quietly, "if I only have to have one in the morning, before school. Then you won't be bothered by it when we go to the harbour."

"I'm not bothered by it," I shook my head and he raised his eyebrows at me, "oddly enough it's beginning to have a charm on me."

"But I'll still smoke less around you. It can't be good for your health," he remarked and I shrugged quietly, "it can't if you have asthma."

"Mild," I reminded and he only did a funny facial expression for a second while he rolled his eyes.

"Mild or not. It is still not good to do around you," he shook his head, "and I checked when the Quarrymen are playing at the Cavern again. What do you say to Friday evening?"

"You really want to go and see them?" I questioned and he immediately nodded at me, "Friday is alright."

"Yeah?" he questioned and I immediately nodded, "and then I was thinking we could go to the harbour as per usual afterwards, and I'll walk you home. Sounds alright?"

"I'd like that," I nodded at him.

A small smile played on Jungwon's lips as he leaned forward and softly pressed his lips against mine for a long second.