| 30 |

I watched as Jungwon's coffee was poured up into the disposable cup. Meanwhile, I was quick to bump my shoulder into Jungwon, to make him stumble away from the cashier.

"Thank you," I smiled at the cashier and handed them the one pound the drinks costed all together.

"You did not just-" Jungwon started as I grabbed his coffee and handed it to him.

"I did, now live with it," I calmly excused and rushed out of the cafe, with Jungwon following right after me.

"But I wanted to pay," he stubbornly spoke as if he was some small five year old.

"And I won't let you pay," I retorted in amusement as we began walking in the direction of the Cavern.

We had barely turned the next corner before Jungwon had paused in his steps, almost dropping his coffee, had I not been fast enough to quickly grab it from him.

"Jungwon?" I called out only earning a hum from him, "you look pale."

"I think I need to go home," he murmured and I frowned at him as he quickly grabbed his coffee from me, "I know I promised you we would go to the Cavern, but I really need to get home. We can go to the Cavern next week, okay?"

"I mean yeah, sure. But aren't you gonna exp-" I started but cut myself off when he abruptly turned around and ran off.

I stood still in my spot for a few seconds before eventually discarding of my hot chocolate and setting into a run towards where Jungwon lived. When I actually reached the slum where he lived I quickly found the back jigger, and rushed down it, knowing that first of all Jungwon would throw a fit if he actually saw me standing in the slum, secondly he would use the back jigger if he was to go out again.

I quietly sneaked over the fence behind Jungwon's house and sat myself on one of the boxes in the backyard, where I would be hidden from all windows, but seen if Jungwon was to crawl out of his window.

Soon enough I heard loud yelling and generally just loud noises from inside the house. It was clear it was two male voices screaming and yelling at one another with something shattering every once in a while. Somewhere I'm sure I heard crying in there as well.

Once it went more silent and only small cries sounded from the house it seemed to hit me what the reality was. I sat quietly in my spot, wondering whether or not I should walk home or not.

"Shh, Mary it's alright, it's alright," I had never heard Jungwon's voice as soft as when it echoed clear into the dark of night, "look, here. You can sleep in my bed tonight. I'll be  back before you know it."

"You're gonna go out and smoke aren't you?" a small girl's voice spoke up and I bit down on the pad of my thumb to keep myself quiet, "you always go out and smoke when you and papa fight."

"I'll be back before you know it. Just try and sleep, alright?" Jungwon questioned and it stayed silent.

Soon I heard the sliding of a window closing and a few jumps on boxes. Not long lasted before Jungwon walked straight past where I sat and opened the small door in the fence to leave.

"Are you really gonna go smoke in town?" I whispered, barely believing it was my voice that spoke up. I watched as Jungwon's back stiffened up, and he quickly turned around and pulled me from where I sat, pushing me out of the small door along with him, "are you?" I questioned as he stayed silent.

"I want you to leave," he shortly replied, resulting in me shaking my head and crossing my arms, "leave Jiyeon."

"Nope," I shortly replied, "I'm your girlfriend and you're gonna tell me what happened."

"You've only been that for like two weeks, I'll tell you when I know for sure you'll stay," he hissed in return and for a moment I felt the urge to step away from him, yet I kept my ground and just stood still.

"I already know I'm gonna stay, so just tell me," I urged and he pursed his lips, "I heard the yells, the shattering, the crying. I even heard you leaving your sister scared in that house!"

"Keep it down, please," he quickly rushed and looked over his shoulder.

"Jungwon you can't go smoke in town," I shook my head at him, almost begging him to not do it.

"And why not?" he almost challenged with the tone of his voice.

"You said it's not good for you and you wanted to stop," I reminded him.

"Where else do I go then? Huh? What other place can I go when I need to get away?" he questioned, pacing back and forth, restlessly.

I watched as he paced back and forth, clenching and unclenching his fists. It almost seemed like he was holding himself back from showing how frustrated he already was with me.

"My room," I shortly replied and he glanced at me as he stopped in his steps, "just think about it the next time."

I sucked in a deep breath before quietly beginning to walk down the back alleyway to go home. I didn't get long though, before I was pulled into a tight embrace, sniffing the weird mix of soft soapy smell and the sharp cigarette smell.

"Thank you," Jungwon whispered, making me pat his back softly.

"I don't care where you go, just please don't go into town and smoke," I whispered and he quietly nodded in assurance.

"I know I have to stop," he whispered quietly, "I promised both you and Mary to stop."

"Find another way of relieving your stress, okay?" I whispered and he simply nodded, I quietly pushed him away from me before sucking a deep breath, "go back up and comfort your sister."

Without saying another word he simply nodded before hesitantly slipping back into the small backyard to his house. I stood in my place for a while, as if I had to assure he didn't come back out once again. Once I knew he wouldn't go back out I quietly began trudging my way back home, through the dark streets.