"I'll be out of your hair." I said as he nodded. "You do-" He started but was interrupted by loud gunshots ringing behind us.

"Get down!" He yelled and threw his arm out, pushing my head down.

"Who is that?!" I screeched as someone shot at us. "No idea. Fucking stay down." He hissed then pushed something on the screen that was on the dashboard.

"Call Sam." He barked then grabbed the gun in the center console, taking the it off of safety.

"Hey, man." Sam answered as Colby rolled his window down.

"Someone is attacking Julia and I. We're on the way home from the office. I need backup." Colby said with a serious tone, making sure it didn't sound the slightest bit panicked.

I couldn't tell if he was doing that for my sake or if he genuinely wasn't scared.

It didn't matter if he was trying to keep me calm, I was far from calm.

I was freaking the fuck out.

"I'm on my way." Sam said as bullets flew through the back windshield, hitting our seats.

"Shit!!" I cried out as Colby looked around, taking a sharp turn to the left.

"When I tell you to, grab the wheel." Colby said as my eyes widened. "WHAT?!" I yelled as he focused.

"Grab the wheel." He repeated as I shook my head. "I can't! What the fuck!?" I cried out as his jaw clenched.

"Julia! NOW! Grab it now!" He yelled then pushed himself up and out of the window.

I screamed and grabbed the wheel, trying to keep the car from crashing.

Colby twisted his body, shooting at the car behind him.

"Colby! Get in the car!" I yelled, fear climbing up my throat. Colby ignored me and continued shooting.

"Th-there's a turn! I can't turn!" I yelled, tears trickling down my cheeks.

Guns scared the absolute shit out of me. They were just so loud and dangerous and they made me very uneasy.

One slip up and someone dies.

Colby ignored me, focusing on his target. "Colby!!" I sobbed out, looking at the impending corner.

I whimpered and pulled the wheel as hard as I could, causing the car to turn sharply.

"Fuck." Colby grunted as he held onto the seat so he wouldn't fall out.

Just then more shots were fired causing me to flinch. "It's Sam, he just blew their tires out." Colby said then slid back into his seat, taking control of the car again.

As soon as he did this, I covered my face with my hands, sobbing into them.

"Julia.." Colby said quietly as I shook my head. "Don't fucking talk to me." I snapped, looking over to see him frowning slightly.

Luckily he just sighed and kept driving, not prying. I almost expected him to be mad at me for being a bitch.

I didn't care though, I was petrified and upset.

The rest of the drive was silent, since I think Colby really took the hint to not talk to me right now.

When we pulled into the driveway I quickly got out of the car and stomped inside, going up to my room.

"Hey, Julia." Jake said as I stomped passed him. "Woah, you good?" He asked as I walked into my room.

I ignored him, then slammed the door. I thought I was crying before but as soon as I was alone I wailed a sob, feeling any bit of adrenaline melt away.

Colby told me how dangerous his life was and even apologized for bringing me into it, but I didn't realize how scary it was.

I lived a safe life.

Taking care of my siblings, going to work, going to school. The most dangerous thing I did was walk at night.

I was a loser in school. Hardly anyone spoke to me. I wasn't bullied or anything like that, I was just a loner.

There weren't many people in my graduating class and everyone had their friends already.

I spent most of my days lonely. I read a lot and even wrote from time to time.

Life was peaceful and safe.

There were no guns, no car chases, no drugs. It was just me in my safe environment with my safe family.

That was all gone now.

I cried for a long time, feeling my heart race at the fact that this was now my life. I would never be able to escape this world.

I would have to deal with car chases and guns. I would have to toughen up.

After a while I heard a light knock on the door then footsteps walking away from it. I sniffled and wiped my nose, walking over to the door and opening it.

In front was a plate with a single cupcake on it.

Nobody was around so I didn't know who left it but it was such a soft gesture from a group of such scary people.

I wanted to believe they weren't as bad as I was painting them out to be but I couldn't trust them just yet.

It was going to take a while.