Chapter 25: Harry's POV

The common room was rife with movement, with people sitting in random places, laughing recklessly, and knocking each other over to take a better look at new arrivals, and anything else that was, evidently, none of their business. Harry shifted onto his side, eyes still glued to his book, his fingers still pinching the edge of the page, as Ron groaned audibly when Hermione beat him at chess for the sixth time in a row, and gave him smug smile from her place on Pansy's lap.

Pansy gave him a matching smirk, and Eliott Fawkes chuckled demurely, lifting his head off of Ron's shoulder, and giving an amused attempt to console him, still trying his hardest not to burst into fresh peals of laughter. Ron crossed his arms indignantly, taking to turning his back on Hermione, and sulking with his head on Eliott's lap. Eliott gave him a fond smile, before shifting his gaze to stare out of the open window, that was stationed below a winking portrait of Sirius Black. Fawkes's pale violet eyes landed on the portrait, and his expression morphed into a look of badly hidden misery. He huffed silently, resigning himself to packing up the chess set scattered on the floor, careful no to bother the hot-headed Weasley on his lap.

A small group of girls seemed to be waiting by the door of the common room, buzzing in collective excitement. The door finally swung open, revealing a tall, charming boy with windswept blond hair, and an unimpressed look on his pale face. The girls moving closer to the door, practically trampling on each other to be the first person Draco Malfoy's silvery blue eyes fell upon. He gave them all a complacent smirk, and one of the girls appeared as if she was suppressing the urge to squeal.  "Hey ladies,"  he said in a calm, indifferent voice, striding past them, and they immediately made space for him to pass. "Heyyy Draco,"  they chorused, throwing longing looks at his departing figure.

Harry gave a derisive snort, turning back to his book, the same burning feeling in his chest from when he had realised that the first person he ever did love thought of him as no less than the girls he had just dismissed. Draco shot him a hopeful smile, and Harry scowled at him, turning his head away, his heart thumping wildly in his chest. It really wasn't fair at this point, as Harry felt as if his feelings were being tossed and played with every time he came in contact with the Malfoy heir. A girl with curly hair had just started to approach him, a friendly look on her face. She stopped just beyond the armchair Harry was curled up in.  "Hey, Potter," she said, beaming, and taking an uninvited seat on the side of the armchair, swinging her legs.

Harry did not look up from the book he was reading - Homer's Iliad - trying to get her to realise that he was not interested in the slightest in anything she was about to say. However, she did not get the hint at all, and began chatting away, completely oblivious to the fact that Harry was not listening at all. What was so important that she had to deter him from his favourite part of the book? Harry was on the brink of pushing the girl off his armchair, but before he could do anything, she switched the topic of the conversation. "-and he's quite good-looking, isn't he? Draco Malfoy, I mean," she added, seeing the look of confusion on his face. "Do you think that I might have a chance with him?" she continued, now staring at Draco with a dreamy look on her face.

Harry snapped his book shut. "No, as a matter of fact I don't, because he's already going out with someone. Jealous type. Quite possessive, actually. You wouldn't want to mess with them," he remarked harshly, all his attention suddenly on the conversation he was having. The nameless girl gave a dejected sigh, slipping off the side of Harry's armchair, and getting to her feet. "I should've known," she mumbled, clearly disappointed. Harry did not feel an ounce of compassion for the girl as he watched her make her way back to her group of friends, instead feeling raw satisfaction with what he had achieved. But he also felt angry, and wasn't particularly keen on lashing out on anyone else in the room, so he made his way up to the dorms.