Chapter 5: Draco's POV

Draco could not remember the last time he had felt so exhilarated. He allowed the reality of things to set in properly, and could feel the adrenaline pulsing through him. He was here now, on platform nine and three quarters, and finally felt like he was home. Not the dark, empty place in which he resided for years - no - Hogwarts was the place he had made his friends and met the people that he desired recognition and validation from. Taking a deep breath and lifting his trunk, Draco stumbled on the scarlet Hogwarts express, and set off to look for a compartment.

He hadn't been in contact with any of his remaining friends, and it didn't look like any of them had been invited back. Feeling slightly wary, Draco continued his fruitless search for an uninhabited compartment. There was a sound of dramatically low whispering coming from one of the smaller compartments, and, curiosity taking over his common sense, the blond stole a glance into the room. Sitting cross-legged, with hair more tousled than usual, was Harry fucking Potter, chatting in rapid tones with Granger. Draco reached for the door of the compartment. This was going to be good.

"Miss me Potter?" The dark haired boy snapped his head around, his eyes landing on the blond. Something strange flitted across his face - it almost looked as if he was flustered for a moment- but Draco took it as a trick of the light.
"You wish Malfoy. Where are your little friends, you don't seem as tough without them." Potter was now sitting up straight, his vivid green eyes twinkling in the sunlight streaming through the window. Slightly distracted by the colours dancing in Potter's eyes, Draco still mustered the effort to sneer.

"Well you see Potter", retorted the blond, assuming the voice you would use to explain something to a five year old, "not all of us need a ring of simps to look good." To Draco's satisfaction, Potter's face contorted into upmost annoyance. Granger watched on silently, an unreadable expression on her face.
"You seem to have forgotten who saved your life last year Malfoy." potter remarked, glaring at the blond with an amusing look of anger on his irritatingly attractive face. It was always intoxicating to get a rise out of him - almost addictive.

"Just because you have a huge hero's complex Potter, doesn't mean I asked to be rescued by you in that fire." Draco's smirked as Potter once again radiated red-hot fury. He found it so easy to wind him up.
"I do not have a hero's-
At that moment there was an echoing announcement coming from the newly installed speakers.
"All students are required to change into their robes immediately, as we are drawing up to Hogwarts."
"Well then I better get going. See you around Potter." With one last fleeting glance at the dark haired boy, Draco swept out of the compartment, thoroughly satisfied.

————————-

Draco could remember the first time he had ever glimpsed Hogwarts castle. As of now, standing right in front of the newly rebuilt version was slightly overwhelming. Nothing was dramatically altered - the towers were more or less the same and the grounds were untouched. It was the hundreds of glowing lanterns that hung mid-air that overwhelmed him. Each of them was bewitched to display hundreds of tiny stars swirling around in them, and little puffs of clouds drifted in between the them. It's light cast a pearly glow upon the grounds, making the whole thing appear very dream like. There was the usual summoning of anxious looking first years, by Hagrid.

Mcgonagoll, however, was calling for the eight years to register with her, and a smaller than usual crowd of students gathered around her, looking slightly confused.
"Follow me, eighth years." mcgonagoll ordered, in her usual crisp tone. The group of students ambled after her, shivering in the cool evening breeze. Once inside, she led them up an unfamiliar flight of stairs, stopping only to advise the students to walk faster. The stairs came to an end, and they ended up in a large common room, which had a roaring fire going on in the centre. Strangely enough, the four flags of the different houses were also hung on the wall.
"As you all have clearly observed, there is only a singular common room.

If you had also read the additional letter, you would know that all the houses are being accommodated in one room. This is a decision made to promote inter-house unity, so cease your complaining, all of you." There had been a collective groan throughout the room as Mcgonagoll had mentioned the last part. No one seemed too enthusiastic to share a common room with the other houses - including Draco.
"Now, since there is not many of you, I have decided to put the boys in one room, and the girls in the other. As eight years, you should be old enough to have more privileges. Your curfew has been extended by an hour." The last part was greeted by loud cheers.

"But as of now, it is certainly time for bed for all of you. Chop chop!" With a groan, the girls and boys split, and climbed up yet another flight of stairs. Draco tried hard to ignore the fact he was going to be sharing a dormitory with Potter, and slid into the bed that had his name carved on the headboard, falling into a restless sleep.

————————————————-

Thanks for reading, and see you in the next chapter!
-R🧚