Chapter 7: Draco's POV

Draco leant against the door of McGonagall's office, scratching his neck carelessly. He was more than used to getting in trouble, but this time he was almost completely sure he hadn't done anything remotely bad - except shoving the odd first year. And he'd gone easy on the little twerps this time.
"Enter," McGonagall called, though she sounded suspiciously calm. Swinging the door open, Draco found the professor sitting neatly on her high-backed chair, smiling serenely at him.
"Take a seat, Mr Malfoy. And don't look at me like that, you're not in trouble."

Draco continued to eye her suspiciously, seating himself on the cushioned chair opposite her. McGonagall reached into her desk drawer and pulled out a small tin of biscuits.
"Take a ginger nut." She said this as more of a demand than a request.
"I don't think I want one." draco said carefully.
"Oh don't be ridiculous."  She pushed a biscuit across the table, narrowing her eyes. Draco grabbed it, taking a begrudging bite.
"As you are probably aware of, the next full moon is in two weeks."

Draco sat up, quickly swallowing the remaining biscuit, suddenly curious to know where the conversation was going.
"Yes, I am aware, Professor. What about it?"
"Well, the staff and I have been conversing, and we have agreed that it would be appropriate to hold a ball to celebrate the first war-free full moon in almost a year."  Draco raised an eyebrow, resisting the temptation to roll his eyes. He obviously got excited for no reason.
"But why are you tell me this privately? Things like this are usually public announcements."  He wasn't interested - of course - but he was genuinely curious to the fact he was the first person to know.

McGonagall simply smiled knowingly.
"I just thought you'd like to be informed before everyone else, to make some early arrangements."
"What do you mean by that, Professor?"  She didn't answer, only continued to smile with that same look of secret knowing.
"Nothing to important, Malfoy. Now run along, classes start in five minutes."  Glad to have an excuse to leave, Draco hastily made his way to the door, still feeling slightly confused.
"Oh, and before I forget," McGonagall looked up, frowning slightly, "What are all the lanterns outside for?" A look of what he assumed to be sorrow passed over her face.

"Each lantern represents a life lost to the Great War." she stated shortly, not looking as if she wanted to elaborate. Draco nodded silently, backing out the room. Well that whole encounter was just weird. He decided to take the long way to class. He can afford to be late to divination.

—————————-

Stepping into the dimly lit room, Draco could just about make out the smell of overly used perfume and a half a dozen circular tables. All of the windows had been closed, so that the only source of light was the the roaring fire. He had forgotten how strange this hidden piece of Hogwarts was. Trelawney turned her head at the sound of the trap door closing, her bug-like glasses glinting.
"You're late, Mr Malfoy. But not to worry, there's an empty seat in the corner of the room with Mr Potter."  Draco could feel disappointment course through him. He had forgotten he took this year's divination with Gryffindor.
"Or, I could just sit on the floor."

"Don't be silly. Now go and sit down so I can start the lesson."  Draco let out a dramatic sigh, making sure to take his time making his way to his seat. The only bonus this class would give is making him hell bent on making Potter's time in this class unbearable, and that thought made him feel a little better. Draco could make out Potter moving his chair away from him, frowning. He might as well make this worthwhile.
"Today we're going to be doing clarification of different constellations and learning how to correctly name, categorise, and make prophecies over them. With your partners, you will each create a star board.

If you turn to page three hundred in a history of divination, you will find all the information you need."  Trelawney said all this in her usual vacant, weary, voice, pacing the basement-like room. Draco took his quill, inkwell, book, and star board out, making sure to spread them across the table, taking up almost all the space. But to his annoyance, Potter simply took his textbook out, turned to page three hundred, and set it on his lap, not regarding the blond at all, or even displaying the slightest bit of anger. Ok, if this is how Potter wants to play, he was ready for him. Snatching the inkwell off his desk, Draco tipped the entire bottle onto Potter's divination book, watching in satisfaction as his calm face contorted to one of pure rage.

Draco knew he was taking this whole 'bullying' thing to far, and now that the war was over, he had no reason to even still be talking to Potter if he didn't want to, but there was a part of him that still wanted to have an excuse to talk to him, because he knew Potter would never want to be friends with him in any other circumstance. But if he was being completely honest, there was a small part of him that wanted to be a little more than friends with Potter - and he hated that. Trelawney appeared at their table, bracelets jangling as she walked.
"Is there a problem boys?" Potter clenched his jaw, staring at the ruined page laying on his lap.

He was definitely going to tell on him.
"No Professor, there's nothing wrong. I just knocked over my inkwell with my hand by accident. Silly me." Draco stared at him incredulously, not believing what he was hearing. Potter had just been given the perfect opportunity to get Draco in trouble, and he ignored it.
"I sensed an inky disaster coming from you. Oh, the life of being a Seer." Trelawney continued to mutter as she made her way back to the front of the room. Draco gulped nervously, turning to the dark haired boy.
"Potter, I-
"Button it Malfoy. Pass me my star base." He did as told, and they worked in silence for the rest of the lesson. The moment the bell sounded, Potter dashed down the ladder, leaving Draco to stare after him.

Maybe he didn't hate him so much after all.

—————————————

Someone give me my medal for fighting through writers block 😾
-R🧚