Chapter 15: Harry's POV

The Lunar Ball is in 2 days.

Naturally, Harry's initial thought was to ask Draco out as his date, but thinking logically of course, this would be a ridiculous idea. You see, after the kiss with Malfoy, he's been wanting more from the blond all over again, wanting the other boy's hands gripping onto his waist, his fingers running through his hair. But he panicked and messed up, and now his ever-growing pride was stopping him from apologising. Besides, seeing that yearning stare of longing in Draco's eyes was driving him crazy.

It was so oddly sexy.

And then Hermione had to get involved. What was going on between him and Malfoy was none of her fucking business, yet she had to stick her nose in it. And of course she had to use the jealousy card. As if Harry was capable of being jealous. She had been complaining about the fact that Harry saw the whole thing as a bit of a game - he would play hard to get while Draco pines after him. And what's so wrong with that? It's Harry's love life, was it not? I wasn't affecting anyone else. Right?

He was so lost in thought that he didn't notice that the classroom was empty, and the teacher was packing away.  "Mr Potter, you've been staring into space for the past ten minutes, are you quite alright?"  Harry could feel his face burning up.  "I'm fine sir. Just tired," he muttered, sliding out of his seat and heading for the door, resisting the urge to slam it. He shoved past crowds of gushing first year girls, all holding pink pieces of card with bundles of blue hearts on them, and pushing each other to get to Harry first. Harry moved past them, ignoring the collective buzz of protest.

He was definitely going to be late to herbology. As he slipped into the crowd of humming students, Professor Sprout eyed him suspiciously, as if deciding whether Harry was there under a minute ago. Eventually, she turned her attention to the class, spouting some ridiculous nonsense about gillyweed. She brought out a handful of slimy, gleaming plant-like substance, waving it in the air and speaking incessantly, blurting a bunch of useless facts. The lesson seemed to move achingly slower than the last.

When Professor Sprout finally dropped her shoulders and shut her mouth, Harry practically shot out of the greenhouse, eager to catch up to a certain blond, who, noticeably, had seemed more reserved than ever. Potter raced down the hallway, gaining numerous dirty looks from the stiff paintings plastered on the walls. "Malfoy! Draco! Don't ignore me!" The blond glanced around momentarily, and then continued to walk, but faster this time.

Draco might've been fast, but Harry had spent half of his life running away and hiding from Vernon Dursley, and that had built a kind of stamina for him. Once Harry had caught up with him, he hung onto his wrist, forcing the blond to turn around.  "Draco Lucius Malfoy. Please don't tell me you're walking that fast to get away from me?" Harry pleaded, completely forgetting about his mental oath to act thoroughly nonchalant about the whole ignoring situation.

Draco stared at him blankly, seemingly processing what the other boy said. Eventually, he decided on gently freeing his wrist of Harry's grasp, and leaning against the wall, his eyes transfixed on him. Harry stared right back, frowning. "Look, I don't know what your problem with me is, or why you're giving me the silent treatment, but if we kiss again, I promise I won't run away," Harry joked, grinning. Draco did not seem to find this funny at all, his pale face staying quite neutral.

Harry walked up to him, taking quick strides, and smacked his palm loudly against the cold stone next to the other boy. "Why won't you talk to me, Malfoy?" the golden boy whispered, leaning in. Draco tensed for a moment, staring at Harry's lips. Then he ran a frustrated hand through his snowy hair, grabbed Harry's tie, pulled it, and flipped their positions so he was on top. "Listen, Potter, I'm not ready to be some boy who you fuck and forget. I really wish you would take me seriously," he hissed, and then turned around to join the new stream of late students heading to transfiguration.

The dark haired boy stared after him until he was completely out of his sight, and then mentally slapped himself. He was so stupid. He wasn't thinking, and now he had probably lost Draco for good.

————————————-

As the hours flew by, and all Harry saw delivered to his dorm were requests from random people asking to be his date to the Lunar Ball, the golden boy tried winning over Draco in a variety of subtle ways. Like winking at him in classes, accidentally-on-purpose bumping into him in the hallways, being extra loud in social events, even attempting to fix his unruly hair. But nothing really worked. Nothing really happened. What was he doing wrong?

Hermione would probably know, but as if Harry would let go of his ego, and ask her for proper advice. But that looked like what he was going to have to do. And so, a day before the Ball, Harry got ready to Catch a Hermione. Probably in the library.

————————————-

What do you think about the whole tension thing? Do you think Draco's overreacting?
-R🧚