Chapter 17: Harry's POV

TW: Mentions of Suicide.

——————————-

The Lunar Ball is in 6 hours.

Harry sat quietly on the windowsill of the common room, swinging his legs back and forth, and watching smoky wisps of his breath rise up and cloud the glass. He was genuinely hoping to catch hypothermia. His hands were already numb with cold, and he was sure the tip of his nose had gone blue. A promising start. Maybe if he died, he wouldn't be able to ask Draco Malfoy to the Ball. Which is something he totally wasn't thinking about doing.

It was wrong, he had muttered to himself as moonlight pooled onto his bed the previous night, to ask a another boy to such an event. He should really ask if Ginny to take him back. Maybe she'd say yes? No, she seems much to close to Luna now. Harry sighed, fiddling with a stray lock of his dark hair. He mentally wondered whether anyone would care if... if he wasn't what they wanted. What they all envisioned and celebrated. If Hogwarts would still smile down at linked hands if one of them was not feminine? Ice moved from his fingers to his feet.

Would they all shake their heads and frown, disgust shadowed in the ghost of their smiles? Would he be brave enough to come as he is when time holds no further patience? Frost now crawled to the corners of his eyes, clouding his sight. If-

"Harry! Harry James Potter, get down from that window this instant, or I'll - oh never mind, I'm coming."  The shaky voice of Hermione bore down on his ears, flooding his senses. She eased him off the windowsill, breathing weakly.  "Harry, I don't know if I just saw what I thought I saw, or I'm way to worried making sure my Ball dress comes in on time, but were you trying to," Hermione sat down to steady herself, trembling violently and tapping her foot steadily, "kill yourself?" she whispered.

Her bright hazel eyes looked up at him, threatening to spill over with tears. Harry rolled his own eyes, rubbing his hands together to get the feeling back in them. "Of course not, 'mione. Who else would be here to remind you that you're skull numbingly boring?"  All traces of woe and misery left her face, almost immediately being replaced by annoyance. "I told you Harry, I'm not all textbooks and work. And don't ever scare me like that," she grabbed the tip of his ear, pinching in harshly, "or I will rip out your collarbone, and bend your ribs so badly, and you'll never be able to stand up straight again."

Harry shivered. He quite enjoyed his walking privileges. When Hermione finally let go of Harry's ear, she smiled warmly, and indicated for him to sit next to her. He tentatively perched next to her. "Now that I know that you'd never, ever disobey my wishes to stay where you're safe, I can finally tell you what I came to say. There was an extra piece of information in that leaflet I showed you at the start of the school year!" Harry raised an unimpressed eyebrow.

"Don't look at me like that!" Hermione said sharply. She then reached into her pocket, and triumphantly extracted the leaflet from so many cloudless weeks ago, before turning it upside down, and shaking it vigorously. Out came a small, folded piece of paper. It fluttered around for a bit, circling their heads, and then eventually fell into Harry's hands. He stroked the silver card, and opened it. The tiny, illegible scrawl was barely visible, so he used a magnifying charm. It read-

'And for all those who are interested in taking anyone who was unfortunately not invited back to Hogwarts this year, to the Lunar Ball, you will be pleased to know that you can invite them back for the Ball and the after party, but I'm afraid they'll have to take their leave as soon as possible after these events, as they will only be guests.
-Minerva M.

Hermione's usually stern eyes were twinkling with excitement, and she was practically bouncing on her seat. Harry was still confused. "I don't get it. What does that have to do with you? Or me?" She glared at him indignantly. "God, I knew you were stupid, but not to this degree! Use your brain Harry, I'm sure there's still one in there. I get to invite someone, who wasn't invited back, to the Lunar Ball!" He smiled slyly. "And who, exactly, would that be?" Hermione's face reddened painfully. She mumbled an answer. "What did you say?" Harry teased, grinning coyly. Hermione gave him a withering look.

"Their name is none of your business, Harry. Who are you planning to ask to the Ball?"
It was Harry's turn to blush.  "I wasn't really- it's not that important- stop changing the subject!"  Hermione chuckled.  "Ok then. It'll be a surprise for us both then."

————————————

Harry stroked the fabric of his to-be Ball outfit. It was a black blazer with little silvery-grey stars embroidered on the collar, and a short sleeved white dress shirt, paired with black slacks that had a constellation pattern on one of the pockets. There was also a pair of black gloves, a silver and black masquerade mask, and a black opal necklace. It was all nice, but there was one more thing to do in the two hours before the Ball started. It was obviously going to be very last minute, but Harry had been thinking about what Hermione had said.

If she was brave enough to ask her crush to the Ball, he should be too. But he wasn't. He wasn't Hermione, and he wasn't brave, and what if he said no? But there was no point turning back now. His hands were closing the box that the clothes came in, and his legs were taking him up the stairs - to the dorms. But he didn't even have to approach them, because Draco was already there, walking down the stairs towards him. He was smiling, but not the usual, friendly smile most people produced. The way Draco did it made shivers run down Harry's spine. His feet seemed to stop moving.

"Hey, Harry." he said smoothly, smirking wickedly. Harry didn't reply. He didn't think he could. Draco scanned him with a fleeting glance.
"I think you'll do as my date to the Lunar Ball, what do you think, Little Star?" He could of fainted on the spot, but instead, he nodded eagerly, like an obeying lap dog. Draco smiled again, and disappeared down the stairs, leaving Harry to stare after him. Again.

———————————

The stars that hung from the the high rooftop of the Astronomy tower glistened brilliantly, suspended by magic, and illuminating the dresses and suits that seemed to glow. Shimmering dashes of fabric danced around the room, as people chattered freely, watching as the sun set, and the moon took its place in the sky, radiating a pearly white shimmer. The whole tower had been enlarged, so that it had room for the high-flying plates of moon cakes and other confections.

Hermione's outfit was as good as her word. It was a white and gold floor-sweeping dress, with long and loosely elegant sleeves that had matching gold cuffs. It even looked as if she had star dust in her bouncy hair. She was being lead away to a corner of the room by a girl with short black hair, and deep purple lipstick. She was wearing a suit. Harry had to squint to see who it was, and when he did, he almost chocked on air. Pansy Parkinson. Dancing with Hermione Granger. It was probably the second best thing that had happened all night.

A quick, smooth waltz was playing, and couples rushed to the middle of the room, longing to be the main attraction. Harry felt someone gently nudge him in the back. He turned his head, and did a double take upon seeing who it was. Draco Malfoy, eyes hidden away by a silver and white masquerade mask - that contrasted starkly with Harry's silver and black one - and dressed head to toe in silver and white. He was smiling again, but softly this time, and he had his hand out, indicating to the centre of the dancing couples.

Harry was tempted to shake his head stubbornly, but instead he smiled back, and took the blond's hand. Harry couldn't dance, of course, but Draco didn't seem to notice as he twirled him around, and stepped on the right beats, hand around Harry's waist. He grabbed his hand as the music ended, and spun him around so Harry was left hanging by his hand. People starting clapping, slowly at first, but then it was a torrent of impressed cheers. Harry smirked. "You dance well." Draco smirked back. "I had practice."

Harry laughed, but by the time he turned around, Draco had disappeared into the crowd.

—————————

The next chapter might be a tiny bit late- next time. Farewell!
-R🧚