Chapter 19: Harry's POV

Harry woke up with the sun blocking his vision, and a dull headache. He lifted his head up slightly, attempting to scramble together the events of last night. Ok, he borrowed Hermione's lipstick to wear to the after party, and rejected Charlotte Berlaneè's drunk request to hook up with him. After then he.... Yep, everything was coming back to him again. Harry glanced down at the boy sleeping peacefully in his arms, his face burning a bright red. He honestly didn't know where the confidence from the night before came from. Maybe it was the few sips of alcohol he had? His clothes? The look of meek nervousness on Draco's face?

Whatever it was, he definitely wasn't feeling it now, and wondered how Draco would react when he woke up. It seemed so bizarre, the whole situation. He was lying in his bed with his sworn enemy snuggling against him, and he had been completely sober when it happened. Reaching for his clothes and glasses, Harry carefully detached Draco from his chest, and got dressed. The blond shifted indignantly, frowning in his sleep. There was a weak sliver of sunlight illuminating the room, showing Harry that there was no one else in the dorm. They were probably in the common room. He sat cross-legged on his bed, fiddling with his wand, attempting to make as little noise as he could manage.

There was a soft rustle of bed sheets. "You woke me up, Potter. What are you doing?" Draco was sitting upright now, almost completely awake. He was smiling warmly, and the sun was creating a halo of light around his snowy white hair. Harry smiled back. "Look who's finally awake! I hope you don't mind if I just head out for a walk, Dray. I need to clear my head a bit."  Draco shook his head to say no, yawning audibly. Then he stopped in his tracks, as if just realising something.  "Did you just call me-"   By the time he had opened his mouth, Harry had already ducked out of the room, amused. All he needed was fresh air, he told himself.

Harry stepped carefully around the bodies of blacked out teenagers, everyone asleep, except - of course - Hermione, who sat wide awake with Pansy leaning her head against her shoulder, fast asleep. Hermione smiled at him, stifling a laugh. "Good morning, Harry." He raised an eyebrow, confused. "What are you laughing at?" She gestured to his lips, and he ran a hand over them, stunned as he stared at the red rouge evident on his fingertips. Hermione chuckled. "So I take it you had fun last night?" Harry blushed, rubbing off the remnants of the lipstick, smearing it even more. "Shut up Hermione," he retorted, feeling his face go red, and retreating, he speed-walked out of her sight.

Harry stepped out of the common room, and followed the path out of the school grounds, shivering in the early morning breeze. A hummingbird bounded across the school grounds, flapping it's wings furiously. What was it doing in Britain? It seemed to be injured. Harry blinked at it, unsure of what to do. He was starting to wish he had listened when his Muggle primary school had that nature walk. The bird was now hopping slowly - apparently too weak to to move quickly. Harry approached it, attempting to pick it up as carefully as he could manage. The hummingbird buzzed indignantly, but eventually calmed down enough for Harry to gently cup it in his hands, and carry it back towards Hogwarts castle.

Groups of students were now milling about, heading towards the Great Hall for breakfast, while Harry tried to appear as normal as he could while carrying a bird in his hands. He reached the common room as quickly as he could manage, and immediately noticed that the majority of the knocked out people, who had been previously laying in various places on the floor, were completely gone - not counting the odd hungover person seemingly stuck to the ground. Harry set out to creep past Hermione - who was sitting alone with a book open on her lap, as Pansy had wondered off by herself - but she had been watching him closely. "Show me what you have in your hands, Harry," she ordered, narrowing her eyes.

He sighed, spreading his hands out and moving closer so she could see the injured bird. Hermione gave a small gasp. "Oh Merlin." she whispered, taking out her wand, and examining the leg of the creature. "Luckily, it's not a deep wound." she mumbled, making a flicking motion with her wand, and muttering the word Episkey. The hummingbird seemed to spring back to full energy, immediately spreading it's tiny wings and buzzing happily around their heads. Hermione raised an amused eyebrow. "She's pretty." Harry turned to her. "How do you know the gender?" he asked, peering at the bird, who was now circling Hermione's head. She rolled her eyes. "It's basic knowledge, Harry. Male hummingbirds have a gorget, and female hummingbirds don't."

Harry wrinkled his nose. "I think I'm gonna name her then," he said, thoughtfully. Hermione narrowed her eyes. "You can't keep her, Harry," she protested, looking reproachful. Harry suddenly beamed, his bright green eyes twinkling mischievously. "Too late," he declared, beckoning for the hummingbird to perch on his outstretched hand. "I already named her." Hermione sighed, clearly exasperated. "What did you name her?" she said, frowning. "Talia!" Harry declared, while Talia flew away from his hand to sit comfortably on Hermione's open book. "That's a lovely name, but you simply wouldn't know how to look after her properly, so you should just let her go."

Harry made a sound of outrage. "But she likes me! And I can look after her perfectly well, I'll- I'll just research in the library. They have to have something on hummingbirds in there." Hermione hesitated slightly. "Well..." Harry grinned.

"So I can keep her?"

"Stop it Harry."

————————————

I don't have any reasons for the late chapter this time. I've just been binging Stranger Things.
-R🧚