Chapter 4: Harry's POV

Harry hesitated for a moment, his hand hovering above the door handle. If he retreated now, he would be granted the relief of a peaceful rest of the day. But if he backed out, he would forever remain in a loveless relationship. Inhaling deeply, he turned the door handle, bracing himself.
"Hey Harry." beamed Ginny, almost immediately dropping the book she was reading.

"Er, hey Ginny. There's something I wanted to talk to you about." Ginny raised an inquisitive eyebrow, while Harry felt his stomach churn uneasily.
"Well-
"You're breaking up with me, aren't you?" Harry was startled by the nonchalance of her voice. She said this in the tone someone would use to talk about the weather - not the tone someone who was being broken up with would use.

"I'm so sorry Ginny, I just don't feel we're working o-
"Oh it's fine Harry, I'm just relieved you did it before I did", she stated, in what Harry assumed to be a satisfied voice, "I just didn't want to hurt your feelings." Feeling slightly taken aback by his now ex girlfriend's calm response, Harry gave Ginny one last grateful glance and quickly backed out of the room. He mentally replayed the conversation he had just had with Ginny in his head, and realised she had probably felt the same way about him this whole time.

Lost in thought, Harry didn't notice as he ran into Mrs Weasley, who was weighed down by a large laundry basket.
"And what do you think you're doing, young man?" she asked, in an accusatory manner.
"Just walking down the stairs...?"
"Oh no you don't, you've got packing to do. We leave for the Hogwarts express in two days, remember?" Harry internally groaned; he had completely forgotten about organising for his trip to king's cross, and would've liked it to stay forgotten.
"Well then, you'd better get moving."

Casting one last warning glance in Harry's direction, Mrs Weasley shuffled down the stairs, mumbling something about irresponsibility and absent mindedness. As he rounded back to his shared bedroom, Harry was almost instantly ambushed the moment he stepped past the door way.
"So Harry,brake any more girl's hearts today?" snarled Ron menacingly.
"Wha-
"You know exactly what I mean - leading Ginny on like that."  Harry could feel his stomach flip. This is exactly what he was worrying about.

"Ron, I can't control the fact that I've lost feelings for her." Harry only just managed to control his temper, as Ron was seriously testing his patience. How in the world was he responsible for his feelings?
"Oh come off it. I should've known you'd play her like that." Ron's ears were burning a flaming red, and his voice was raising with every word. "You're a lying little cowar-   Hermione burst in, looking slightly strained.
"Molly sent me to check if you're packing. What on earth are you doing, screaming at each other like that?" She glanced expectantly from Harry to Ron, her eyebrows raised.

"He," panted Ron, pointing a vengeful finger at Harry, fury still evident in his face, "broke up with Ginny in cold blood." Hermione rolled her brown eyes. "Must you be so dramatic Ron? If he fell out of love, that's not his fault." stated Hermione, irritated. Harry felt a rush of affection towards her. On the other hand, Ron looked ready to kill.
"Oh, I should've known you wouldn't have enough common sense to know what a git he is." A dark look crossed Hermione's face.
"Now don't you go turning on me, Ronald Weasley. It's not my fault you don't care about your own friends." 

Ron and Hermione were now facing each other menacingly, shooting daggers at each other. Harry turned his head from one to the other, nervously anticipating the storm that he was sure would come.
"Hermione don't bother with him, he'll waste your time." After shooting a venomous glare over her shoulder, Hermione stormed out of the room, chestnut coloured hair swaying vigorously. Ears still a bright red, Ron followed suit, leaving Harry isolated in their shared room. He inhaled deeply, fury still bubbling up inside him. Ron was meant to be his best friend, he was supposed to understand.

So why would he blow up on him like that? Wailing in frustration, Harry fell on his bed, landing heavily on his back. He might as well start packing his trunk now - or Mrs Weasley would be out for his blood. Weaving a hand through his thick, black hair, Harry stumbled towards his abandoned trunk and opened it. It was strange really - as soon as he unlatched his luggage, all the exasperation and bitterness he had harboured since his argument with Ron vanished almost instantly. Harry allowed his vibrant green eyes to roam over the contents of his trunk.

His robes, textbooks, and even the forgotten debris at the very bottom of his trunk, all reminded him of Hogwarts, and the thought of going back was consoling. It felt good, like he was coming home for the first time in what felt like a very, very long time. In a few days, he would be back to the place that always welcomed him with open arms.

—————————————

See you in the next chapter, and thanks for reading!
-R🧚