Epilogue: What We're Going to do for the Rest of our Lives

Start from the beginning

Harleigh rolled her eyes and looked over to Charlie.

"How did she convince you to come make an island commune anyway? You always struck me as more of an indoor lesbian." 

"I just didn't want to be helpless anymore." Charlie said. "Plus, everyone hated me at the time. I could hardly leave the house. I also know what it means to blanch a tomato now, so that's pretty cool."

There was a knock on the door.

"Oh no." Beatrice said to Harleigh. "It looks like they've already found you."

Harleigh rolled her eyes.

"You guys get visitors here?"

Beatrice didn't answer. She leaned over, and opened the door up to reveal Lin, smiling and holding a cake plate.

Beatrice took it from him and set it on the counter, While Charlie happily hopped over to hug him.

"Hey Charlie." He said. "It's been a while."

"I know!" Charlie said. "You can tell it's been a long time because I have a different haircut now."

"Hey, I have a different haircut too now!" TJ said stepping in from behind Lin. "I have this too."

Beatrice assumed he was talking about the baby that was wrapped against his chest in a sling. Charlie's eyes immediately lit up at the sight of it.

"Oh my god! B, it's a baby."

"Yes, I can tell." Beatrice said.

"Oh my god. It's like a little person."

"Yes, that is what babies are." Beatrice agreed.

"What's its name?" Charlie asked.

"Irene." TJ said.

"Ew." Harleigh spoke up again from the couch. "I don't like that name. Can you change it to something cooler, like Demonbutcher or something?"

Lin's eyes narrowed.

"That is my mother's name."

Harleigh quickly disappeared behind the couch again.

"Oh my god." Charlie said for a third time. "This is so cool. Come with me TJ— I'm going to go get our baby."

"Wait, Charlie, he's napping!" Beatrice called after her, but she was already gone down the hallway with TJ in tow.

Lin turned to her and shot her a puzzled look.

"Uhm, not to sound insensitive, but how do you guys have a baby?"

"I found him in a trash can outside of a gas station." Beatrice said. "When I was on the mainland picking up a few things."

Lin frowned.

"You found a baby in the trash, and you just… took it home?" He said. "You didn't call the police or something?"

Beatrice shrugged.

"I mean, basically."

"So, that's someone else's baby? You stole a baby?" Lin asked.

"It was in the trash so they clearly didn't want it." Beatrice said. "Besides, he doesn't have a belly button, so I don't even know if he's a human or not."

"So it's okay to steal a baby if it's not human?" He said.

"It was in the trash!" Beatrice repeated. 

Lin opened his mouth to argue, but Beatrice cut him off.

"So I was just supposed to give him to the government to lock away and experiment on? Besides, are you going to try and take that baby from Charlie—"