"When school starts back up you guys can quit. Studies come first." He added, she was going to quietly except that working was going to be her reality. Why didn't she? A promise he had made her last month.

"What about Dr. Dre?" Loretha questioned, seeing the way her father sighed made her heart drop in her stomach.

"Baby, the pipe wasn't going to fix itself....." He started, Loretha scoffed tossing her water ice into the trash.

"Loretha.....look it wasn't an easy decision." He pressed, she tuned him out heading back to the car.

Words unable to describe the anger she felt. She had been looking forward to that Dr. Dre concert. They had a deal and he broke it. He said as long as she got all A's, made the 300 dollars herself, and start applying for a few colleges now she could go. She did it all by herself. Babysitting, doing hair, the whole nine yards. To collect that and an extra 200 to spend. She had given him the 3 hundred under the guise that he went to go buy her ticket.

Just to learn he spent it, and wasnt even going to tell her about it. He made yet another promise he didn't keep. Sitting in the van she waited for them to finish. Ready to be home already. Nearly forgetting those chemistry notes. Pulling them out she flipped past the disguised actual Chem notes. The next page being a written note.

Hey was rolling to swoop. Saw ya pops round the way. Figured not give you no headache. Say though there's this thing friday night. Doing a show at the warehouse. Slide through mami, I wanna see that pretty face.

Lucious Lyon

She cracked a smile tucking the nite back into her hinder. Just as her sister and father opened their doors. Sliding over for more room the car ride to the house awkward and tense. Loretha wanted to kick Carol in the ass. The bitch taking her sweet ass time getting out. Forcing Loretha to wait for her.

"Lolo..." Her father called, she visibly cringes at the nickname.

"Forgot sorry sorry, I didn't mean to do this. What would you rather have though. Some measly concert tickets or a roof over your head? If you realy got your priorities right you'd see my side." He spoke, she shook her head fighting back tears.

"Its not about that. I love music, I did this all by myself daddy. To show you that I new how to hustle to make things happen."

"Hustle? You ought to know nothing of hustling! See that's why I don't want you listening to that kind of music..and you see the way that damn boy..." He barked, further crushing her spirit.

"ITS NOT EVEN REMOTELY ABOUT LUCIOUS! ME! ME, DADDY ME! I LOVE MUSIC AND IT FEELS LIKE EVERY CHANCE I GET TO EXPRESS THAT YOU PUSH IT AWAY!" She erupted, cutting off his pending Lucifer Lyon rant.

"Music has no monetary stability Loretha. Every damn kid in the hood wants to do music. Every single one of them. I wanted to do music too! You know how many of my old friends were real good at music and made it? None. Guess how many of those friends are stable? None. I don't need you struggling in life while looking for a needle in a hay stack!" He snapped back, she huffed turning to climb out feeling him grab her arm.

"Loretha, my visions for you don't involve you being stuck in this town. I want more for you, all of you. You are so smart Loretha. A business mind like yours needs to be nurtured, this genius you have it needs challenge. I see you owning things not owing." He continued.

"What about what I....see for me?" She tossed, snatching away from him.

Escaping the confinement of the van. Not bothering to glance back. She had said what she needed to say. It was arguments like those that made her feel less bad about the things she did. Like sneak out to go meet up with the boy you were supposed to stay away from. Of she kept living by those rules though she would never experience life she was coming to learn.