Guardian Trouble

A/N -

This chapter takes place in the Breath of the Wild era before the calamity.

P.S. - This takes place after my previous one-shot "Hunted".
——————

Dark's PoV -

The smell of freshly baked cinnamon rolls fills my lungs as I set the lovely bread in the window to cool and hopefully draw in customers. "You've done it again, Granny. These rolls smell delicious," I comment to, Sherry, respectfully known to the youth of Castle Town as Granny.

Granny smiles. She's an older lady who runs a small bakery in east Castle Town. She grew a liking to me and now I help her in her bakery when I have free time. I love it here. Being surrounded by delicious smells and warm ovens. It's cozy. I'm rolling some dough when Link walks in. Granny notices the hero before I do, "Hello, Link, it's good to see you. I suppose you're here to take my helper from me."

I blush. Link and I are something of a couple but we keep it secret from everyone since it's not really accepted. However, Granny seems to see right through us. "Hello, it's good to see you too. Well, I was going to ask Dark if he wanted to ride with Zelda and I to Hyrule Ridge..." Link states.

I look at Granny. "Go on, Dark. We're not very busy and you're much to young to stay cooped up inside all day. Run along with your suitor."

I blush at her words. "If you're sure, thank you, Granny."

With that I follow Link outside into the ever busy streets of Castle Town. "Why are we going to the Ridge?" I question.

"Zelda wants to explore a shrine there." Link replies.

      We meet the princess at the castle stable. She readies her pure white horse as Link tosses a saddle over Epona. "Thanks for coming with us Dark, I've been wanting to research the Sheem Dagoze Shrine".

     "Thanks for the invite," I climb onto Epona and Link climbs on behind me. His chest presses against my back and his arms loop under mine to grab the reigns. The princes climbs onto her own horse and we start the long journey to the Ridgeland.

     Zelda leads the way with us following close behind. We exit through the large gates and into the wild. A few Sheika work with the guardians as they conduct their research on the large armored robots.

     By the time we reach Carok Bridge I'm starting to feel tired. It's only midday but my body make me feel the need to sleep during the day. Link notices my tiredness, "It's okay, Dark, you can take a nap. I'll keep you safe."

     "Thanks," I mumble tiredly before allowing sleep to overcome me.

I don't know how long I've been out but it feels like only a short period of time when I'm woken by Link shaking me and Zelda's screams in fear. "What's going on!" I ask still coming out of my daze.

"Dark, I need you to protect Zelda. A malfunctioning guardian is chasing us," Link states before tossing me the reigns and elegantly jumping off of Epona who is now at a full sprint along with Zelda's royal horse.

"Link, don't you need Epona!? I can help you!" I ask worried about him.

"No, Dark, go and protect Zelda!"

Semi-reluctantly I do as I'm told. Link distracts the guardian while Zelda and I ride away from the terror behind us. The guardian still manages to purse despite Link's efforts to protect us. I push Epona and manage to get beside the princess. "We're going to have to dismount, the guardian is keeping up with us! We need to find a hiding place!" I shout.

"Okay, lead the way!" Zelda replies.

I spot a cave off in the distance and speed for it. I make sure the princess is following on her white steed. A few yards out we quickly dismount and make a run for the cave. I here the guardian's lasers firing in the background and I pray to Hylia for Link to be safe. Inside the cave is old crates and barrels. I tuck the princess safely behind the crates. Quietly, I sneak to the entrance of the cave, my shield and sword at the ready if I need to fight to protect the princess.

I steal a quick glance from my hiding place beside an outcropping of rock and find Link valiantly battling the Guardian. I hold my breath in fear. The guardian shoots a laser and Link quickly blocks it with his shield, destroying the shield in the process. This leaves the hero defenseless. I need to help him. "Princess, stay there, I'm going to help Link," I call to the wooden crates where I know the princess hides.

     I hear a mumbled okay as I rush over to help Link. The guardian spots me and targets onto me, thankfully leaving Link alone for the time being. I doge the laser by hiding behind a tree. I avoid falling branches from the destroyed tree as I rush to Link's aid. The guardian targets me again. I look for a place to hide only to find that I am stranded in the open. Well, looks like I'll be sacrificing my shield too. The laser aims and I parry with my shield leaving my beloved shield in ruins. However, the laser reflected back at the guardian leaving it hurt and open to an attack from Link. Link cuts one of the guardian's arms off with a few hacks from the master sword. Once the guardian recovers it sets its sight on Link. Shit! There's no where for Link to hide and we're both defenseless.

I finally make it to Link. I have to help him. Quickly I climb onto the guardian and cover its 'eye' leaving it blind and unable to fire. Link attacks with furry as I keep the enemy blinded. Eventually, the guardian writhes and throws me off. I land roughly on my back. The impact pushing the air from my lungs. I attempt to get up but my body protests in pain. Link continues attacking the guardian who now has its sight set on him. I have to help him. I force myself to crawl over to the battle.

Finally, I manage to stand, though quite painfully. In the nick of time I manage to jump in front of the hero. Shielding him from the laser. I have just enough time to block the brunt of the attack with my own sword but pain still consumes my body as the laser bears down on me. I hear the faint sound of Link screaming my name in worry. As I faint, I hear the sound of the guardian deactivating and turning into nothing more than a pile of scraps. I did it, I saved Link and the princess! Finally, everything fades from around me.

——————

"Dark, Dark, wake up," a soothing voice echos from the darkness around me. Is that Zelda's voice?

"Dark, I miss you, wake up," I hear my hero talking to me.

With great effort I manage to conjure enough strength to open my eyes. "H-hello," I manage to croak out.

"Dark! You're awake," Link tackles me into a gently hug.

My body protests in pain but I manage to loop my arms around the hero reciprocating the hug. "H-how l-long was I out?" I question.

     The princess answers, "About a week. You saved us both, Dark, thank you. You should have seen Link, he thought you died and was sobbing over you. I had to find your pulse to assure him you were okay. Either way, you have yourself a keeper, Dark."

      I blush at the princess words and I see Link trying, and failing, to hide his blush as well. I just realize we're back in Castle Town in Link's home. I lay in our shared bed. "T-thanks for taking c-care of me," I mumble.

     "Are you joking, you're under my protection. I'll take care of you till my dying end," Link states and a warm feeling flutters over me. I feel myself falling back to sleep but I know I'll make a full recovery. Especially, with Link watching over me.