After the Calamity

A/N -
This takes place in the Breath of the Wild era during and after the calamity. This oneshot is a sequel to "The Lockup".
—————

Link's PoV -

Calamity Ganon has returned. For years Zelda, Dark, myself, and the rest of the champions had prepared for this moment. Now it was finally time to put our training to the test. I couldn't help but feel uneasy as the seven of us hurried to Hyrule castle. I glance at Dark to see how he was taking the news of Ganon's return. He seemed nervous as well, maybe more so than my self but seemingly sensing my gaze he flashed a small smile to me making it seem like he was feeling braver than he actually was. The small gesture calmed me at least till we topped a hill and saw the state of Hyrule castle. Calamity Ganon swarmed the castle in a swirling reddish-purple mist. From our position at the top of the hill I could see fellow soldiers facing off against Ganon's forces. The four champions split way to hurry to their respective divine beasts while Zelda, Dark, and I rushed to the ground zero of the calamity, Hyrule castle.
     By the time we reached the castle the ground was covered in blood of Hyrulian forces and Ganon's forces alike. Formally brave soldiers lay bleeding on the castle grounds gasping out their last breaths. At least the guardians were pushing back Ganon's troops. When we were half way across the bridge, nearly to the castle I watched in horror as all the guardians turned from the normal gold and blue to a corrupted pink and purple color. The guardian's lasers turned on us now murdering Hyrulian soldiers by the hundreds. There was no time to stop, no time to grieve. We had to defeat Ganon before more lives could be lost.
Rubble of once proud architectural designs fell to the ground in large heaps blocking our way in. I began helping Zelda climb over the rubble when I noticed Dark was gone. Horrible scenarios ran through my head. Did he get hurt or worse? Did he abandon us for Ganon? I look around frantically searching form my boyfriend when I spot him facing off against a Hylian soldier several meters away. Immediately forgetting about the princess I rush to help Dark. The soldier has dark backed up against a pillar with no way to escape. Dark holds his dark Hylian shield out as a last resort bracing for impact of the soldiers claymore. I jump in front of Dark and block the soldiers attack with my own shield. "He's on our side!" I state before dragging Dark off leaving the soldier mildly confused.
Dark and I soon meet up with Zelda. Together we rush into the castle gates and Zelda lead us to the top of Hyrule castle. The inside in almost completely empty very much unlike the busy castle life I'm use to. A few surviving women and children huddle together in the main hall. Few soldiers rush in and out carrying arm fulls of weapons to supply their coligues. We follow Zelda up flights of stairs. At the very top the king of Hyrule faces off against Ganon alone. Soldiers bodies surround the king having given their last to protect their leader. Zelda is the first to rush to her fathers aid but she's to late. With a swift move Ganon created an attack to powerful for even the king. The once powerful ruler collapses to the ground blood spewing from a large wound on his chest. Zelda neals next to her fathers body a forcefield somehow emanating from her. Normally I would congratulate Zelda on unlocking her sealing powers but now is not the time. Ganon strikes a Zelda and the forcefield shatters.  
     Dark and I see this and rush to defend the grieving princess. Ganon strikes again and I barely manage to block the attack. My shield is rendered useless. The next attack comes fast. Ganon powers up a dark force aimed at the princess. I survey my surroundings I have no shield Dark is to far away recovering from another of Ganon's attacks. I have no choice. I form a protective stance around the princess armed with nothing but the master sword. A blazing hot blinding pinkish-red light consumes me. An excruciating pain I've never felt before rushes through me and I black out. The last thing I hear is Dark screaming my name, "Link!!!"

Dark's PoV -

     I watch unable to reach Link in time as he is consumed by Ganon's dark every. When the light dies down Link lays motionless on the ground. I rush over to him unable to think about anything else. I grab Link's body not knowing if he is even alive. Pulling Zelda along behind me we escape Ganon's lair. Zelda comes back to her senses. I understand she's devastated but Link risked his life protecting her when she wasn't even trying to save herself. I'm holding Link bleeding body, tears pouring from my eyes. I can feel the faintest heartbeat residing in my reflection's chest. "Zelda we need to get Link help now!" I command.
     "Find Purah, she'll know how to help him, I must stay here and try to seal Ganon," with that Zelda rushes back into the room that was almost Link's tomb.
     Carrying Link bridal style I make my way out of the castle. I've seen Purah once or twice before when she experimented on me in the lockup. She's the one that put that horrible colar around my neck. I fear her almost as much as I fear Ganon but Link's life is on the line and I must face my fear. I find her disarming corrupted guardians. "Purah, Zelda sent me to tell you to help Link!" she seems confused seeing a former "demon" carrying the motionless body of the champion of Hyrule but she quickly shrugs it off. I follow her and we end up at the stable where horses are bucking and tugging at their chains trying to escape the horror sounding them. I quickly mount a horse with Links body secure in front of me. Purah leads the way and we gallop away from the destruction that is Hyrule Castle.
     Within minutes we're on the Great Plateau. We stop at a seemingly inconspicuous cave entrance. Purah motions for me to had over Link and reluctantly I do. I follow he into the cave which turns out to be an odd shrine. I help her remove links clothes. Purah places Link into a tub of glowing blue water. Immediately the water washes away Links blood. His grimacing face turns mure relaxed and I know my boyfriend is safe. "Thank you, Purah," I'm smiling now knowing Link will live.
     "Stay with him, Dark Link, make sure no one finds him here," Purah is already leaving, "Protected him at all costs, he is Hyrule's last hope."
     The Sheika woman mounts her horse and I watch as Purah gallops away towards the calamity. In the distance I can see Ganon's swirling form and a chill runs through me knowing this battle will not be over soon. I retire back into Link's shrine. I look down of his sleeping form. "So you're the chosen hero, Link?!" I reach my hand carefully into the water and gently brush the loose hair out of his face, "I wonder how long till you wake to save Hyrule my hero?"
     Day in and day out I wait for Link to wake. His wounds are slowly healing but each day Hyrule castle seems to be in worse shape.
Years pass. I grow no older because Link doesn't. I am his shadow after all. My hope of Link's return seemingly fades everyday. The land of Hyrule grows increasingly more bleak. Structures crumbled, I haven't seen a soul in years, monsters roam the land. I scarcely leave Link's shrine for fear of missing him waking up. I only leave for food and water and even then I don't go far.
It's nearly been a century since Link was put to sleep. I grow bored of life. I have no purpose. There is nothing for me to protect Link from and my reflection has been sleeping for 100 years. However, recently an old man roams the land of the Great Plateau. He somehow looks familiar. Regardless, I'm afraid to talk to the man. I haven't spoken to anyone in a century and besides that I tend to scare people. Instead, I stay inside and watch my sleeping beauty day in and day out.
     I sleep in a pile of leaves next to Link with a thin blanket covering me. I'm woken one early morning by the sound of an adorable yawn. I sit straight up half expecting an intruder. Instead, I'm meet with the adorable sleepy face of my boyfriend, "You're finally awake!"
     My drowsiness forgotten, I rush over to Link. "I didn't think you would ever wake up, I was so worried," I gently hugged him half leaning over his former resting place.
     "Dark? Where am I?" Link asks his voice a bit shaky from lack of use.
     "You don't remember? You're in the shrine of resurrection after having been badly injured 100 years ago in the calamity; I've been keeping watch over you hear ever since," I explain.
     "Calamity? What happened?" Link seems badly confused, has he lost his memory?
     "Yes, Ganon attacked Hyrule castle, he killed thousands of people, he murdered our friends, Zelda is stuck in the castle trying to hold Ganon off, and he nearly killed you," Link seems taken aback by the tragedy he couldn't even remember, "You remember me though, don't you Link?"
     Link smiles and I realize just how much I missed seeing that smile, "Of course I remember you, Dark, you're my shadow and my boyfriend, thank you for waiting on me all this time."
     I help Link out of the healing chamber and help him dress since he is still a bit weak. Now all we have to do is defeat Ganon, no problem. However, with Link by my side for the first time in a century I feel invincible. I place a gentle kiss to his lips. I'm so happy to have him back. With that we leave the shrine and start our adventure.