Chapter 27: Scream

#DS4Unadorned #MAAAD #DaggerSeries

CHAPTER 27: SCREAM

MIREIA'S POV

It feels like the walls around me are getting narrower and narrower until the flow of air becomes constricted. My vision began swimming while the voices around me turned into a vise wrapped around my neck that was now slowly suffocating me.

My chest started to move fast as my breathing became short rapid breaths. Sa kabila ng panlalamig at panlalambot ng mga tuhod ay naglakad ako palapit sa mga nagkalat sa sahig na kanina ay naibagsak ni Thorn. I gripped the ring in my hand tightly as I crouched down, reaching for the scrabble tiles that fell from a small box.

How? This is impossible. This must be some sick joke.

"The day after your birthday..."

Nag-angat ako ng mukha at nakita ko si Axel na nakatayo sa harapan ko. He's right in front of me and yet it feels like he's far away. "Noong pumunta tayo sa concert ni Lia, naaalala ko na katatapos lang ng birthday mo. I ordered a gift, and I sent it to your Manila address, but after everything that went down I forgot about it."

Tumayo ako at bumuka ang mga labi ko para magsalita pero hindi ko magawang hanapin kung ano ang tamang sabihin. I don't know where to start. I don't even know what's happening here.

"It was the day after your birthday," he repeated.

"I—"

"It was the day you left."

Realization hit me. It was also that day.

"It's also the day that all those women died."

Sunod-sunod na umiling ako. "That's ridiculous."

"Even one coincidence is too much of a coincidence, Mireia." His jaw was tight, and I know the tension in his body is visible to everyone's eyes. "I know that there are things you don't want to talk about, but if this could help the investigation... if this could help me protect you..."

He let his words hang, but I understood what he meant to say. This is his line of work. It's his job to speculate. But there's just no way. What he's saying can't be possible.

"Walang kinalaman iyon sa nangyayari ngayon."

"Mireia—"

"This..." Itinuro ko ang mga nagkalat na scrabble tiles. He doesn't know what it means to me, but I was too caught up in the world trying to crush me to stop and explain. "This is just their sick joke. I should have known. When I met with Stephanie during the fashion show, and the alumni event, I should have prepared myself for whatever hell they were going to throw at me. Pero iyong sitwasyon ko ngayon, at iyong mga nangyari sa mga modelo na iyon? This got nothing to do with that."

Dagger Series #4: UnadornedOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara