Chapter 26: Ring

#DS4Unadorned #MAAAD #DaggerSeries

CHAPTER 26: RING

MIREIA'S POV

I don't know how long since we left the hospital. I didn't care. Ang mahalaga sa akin ay makalayo sa lahat pansamantala dahil hindi ko alam kung hanggang kailan ko kakayanin na hawakan ang lahat ng ako ngayong pakiramdam ko ay anumang saglit ay mawawasak na ako.

"We can only do palliative chemotherapy for her, Mireia."

Mahigpit na kinuyom ko ang mga kamay ko dahilan para maramdaman ko ang pagkagat ng mga kuko ko sa mga palad ko. A warm hand reached for mine, but even the familiarity of the touch can't calm the chaos inside me— No... it's more than a chaos, it's more like everything I have is turning into dust.

Kasi alam ko na kahit anong gawin ko ay hindi ko magagawang taguan ang katotohanan. My mother is dying. She's going to leave me. I'm going to lose her.

"Where do you want us to go?" Axel asked in a soft voice.

Us.

The moment he came back into my life, it was like everything just fit perfectly. We became an "us" before I even accepted everything that was in front of me. Being with him feels so natural that thinking about the years without him fills me with an ache I never fully understood.

It scares me. It scares me to know how much I need him. Kasi alam ko kung gaano magiging kahirap kapag nawala siya sa akin. Kung gaano magiging kasakit kapag iniwan niya rin ako.

The car slowed down, and when it stopped, I noticed that we were outside his house.

"Don't," he whispered.

"W-What?"

Tinignan niya ako sa paraan na para bang mas naiintindihan niya ang nararamdaman ko kesa sa akin. Humigpit ang pagkakahawak niya sa kamay ko at sa sumunod na sandali ay natagpuan ko siyang iginagaya ako palapit sa kaniya hanggang sa wala na akong nagawa kundi mapaloob sa mga bisig niya.

"I know that right now your world feels like it's falling apart. I know that you want to take control and handle it all. I understand that. I respect that. You can do whatever you want, angel. But while you take care of everyone around you, you need to understand that I'm here to take care of you."

"Axel—"

"You let everyone lean on you. You took on the responsibility of keeping everything together. With me you don't need to. You can lean on me, and you can fall to pieces, because I will be beside you to catch you. Even if your world ends, you will always have mine."

Tears clouded my eyes, but I didn't let it fall. When I spoke, it was barely above a whisper. "I'm so tired."

"I know," he said as quietly.