{8}

That night...
Jungkook POV:

I peered at the silent hallway. 

It was was past 8 in the evening, and everyone was probably lounging in their rooms by now.

My mind drifted to what Hoseok hyung had said earlier.

"Jungkook, you don't have to do this. You don't have to get yourself on Y/N's bad side. Let your hyungs handle this."

"Don't worry, hyung," I told him. "I'd do anything in my power for our soulmates. Right now, we need someone who can access her memories, and expand them to see the full picture. I want to know what happened too, and I've been in her head once. I know what I'm dealing with."

Hoseok hyung looked at me sadly. "When it comes to Y/N, we have something in common. We all want to protect her. I hope you know what you're doing, Jungkook."

I nodded. "I won't let anything happen to Y/N. You can count on me."

Right now, my confidence was slightly tilting. I hope I don't let anyone down.

Y/N's room was right across from mine. Jimin hyung told me Taehyung hyung accidentally destroyed her door, so now they just put it up on the doorway.

I knocked gently.

After shuffles of movement, the door tilted backwards and Y/N's cute head popped in.

"Oh, hey, Jungkook," she said, struggling to handle the door. "What's up?"

Okay, what was the easiest way to say it?

I smiled awkwardly. "Hi, Y/N. There's an emergency and...I think I need to access your memories."

I braced myself, waiting for the moment when Y/N would tell me no.

"Oh, uh, sure, why not? It's an emergency after all, right?"

"Yes," I have never felt more relieved in my life.

She smiled at me, and my heart couldn't help it but beat faster. Great going, JK, now she's gonna think you're gonna have a heart palpitation through the bond. 

"Come in, ah, um, sorry about the door. Taehyung will fix it soon."

I walked inside and saw her laptop open on top of her bed. Other than that, nothing seemed unusual in her room, which was a relief.

I studied Y/N's facial expression as she bent on fixing the door to its' original position. Nothing seemed going on in her head and she didn't seem to know what the three hyungs were hiding from the others.

"So...about my memory?" She asked me, and i had noticed that I was now staring at her openly.

Blushing, I looked away. "Yeah, sorry. Something came up at work and...well, I need to scan your memories for...interrogation."

Yeah, of course I felt guilty for lying, but it's also for her own good. And anyway, it's not far from the truth. I am going to have to interrogate her memories.

"Any chance you can tell me what it's about?" She asked, sitting on the bed and reaching for her laptop.

"Sorry, Namjoon hyung told me it was classified."

"Alright, then," I watched as her fingers pressed the delete button. I decided to let it pass, since it probably wasn't important. "What do you want me to do?"

"I want you to relax your mind. Don't think of anything else while I'm in your mind. The worst that could possibly happen is I get transferred to a different memory." She nodded at my words. "Stay in your room and don't move too much. By the time I'm in your head, it'll look like I'm in a coma, so I'm just gonna borrow your bed for a minute. Most importantly, the memories I'll look through won't come to your head, so you don't have to worry about seeing it."

"Alright."

I took her hand and sat down beside her.

"I don't know what you're gonna be doing but...please be safe," she told me. "And good luck."

I nodded, placing a kiss on her forehead.

Surprised, she ducked a little. "What was that for?"

"It's thanks."

Finally, my mind intertwined with hers, and I got sent to her head.

Y/N POV:

The way Jungkook's body suddenly collapsed like he was dead terrified me.

The minute he was in my head, I caught him to make sure he didn't fall.

As gently as I could, I tried placing him in the middle. Which was a very hard thing to do. Why is this man so heavy?

I breathed a puff of air from my lips. Strangely, I didn't feel anything strange.

I shook my head to stop myself from thinking and reached my laptop.

I recovered the file I had just deleted. I hadn't expected Jungkook to come in just when I had opened the file...

It was one of the files Jimin had given me.

Back when he tried to tell me everything, he got cut short. To continue his explanation, he gave me a USB last month with all the answers to the questions I had asked.

Up until now, I had only skimmed through the first folder, and it contained Jungkook's past.

I felt guilty, of course. He was doing his best to help the company and us. I think he deserves to know. And yet another part of me doesn't want him to know because of the heartbreak he would feel.