FIFTY-TWO

—VICISSITUDE—

VICISSITUDE

"NANCY, COME ON, wake up!" Irina exclaimed, shaking Nancy's shoulders in a desperate act to get her to snap out of it, which she knew would ultimately be unsuccessful.

"She needs music right now!" Dustin yelled and everyone but Steve and Erica ran through Eddie's trailer to find a song that could help her get back.

"I'm coming back through." Steve said and began climbing the make-shift rope.

"No, Steve, you have to go and help the others. You and Nance dated, you're way more likely to find a song she loves than Robin or Lucas or Eddie." Irina told him.

"She's right, Steve. I'll watch them." Erica said.

"Fine, but if anything happens - and I mean anything - you come and get me. Got it?" Steve said to Erica and she nodded. Steve looked up at Irina one more time and she gave him a nod of reassurance before he took off.

"Stay with me, Nance. Y-you've got this, you're going to be okay. You are going to m-make it out of there." Irina gripped Nancy's shoulders, scared of what would happen if she let go. That place was a terrifying place to be. Especially alone. "Erica tell them to hurry!" Irina called out and Erica ran off to tell everyone to be quick with finding the music.

Nancy's eyes were flickering about in the back of her head when suddenly she took in a sharp breath and her irises rolled back to normal. She collapsed into Irina's arms and grasped onto her like it was the last time she would ever do it. Irina let out a sigh of relief, also hugging Nancy in her tight grip.

"I've got you, Nancy. You're okay. You're still here." Irina said, feeling how Nancy was trembling. "Guys!" Irina yelled up into the gate and it didn't take long for the others to come running. Irina helped Nancy to her feet and stayed with her for a few moments while she recovered and came back to her bearings.

"Thank you. Thank you, Irina." Nancy gulped, still a little out of breath and shaken up.

"Hey, it's okay. It's okay. Let's get you out of here." Irina said, gently ushering Nancy towards the make-shift rope. She helped her up it, watching as she fell through the gate and then helped to her feet by Eddie and Robin. Irina began climbing through the gate next and let out a grunt when her back landed on the mattress. Steve grabbed her hands and pulled her to her feet and into his chest in a relieved embrace. The whole group just stood in a liberating silence for a moment to process the previous event until Max finally spoke up.

"We should get outta here. My trailer is just across the road and my mom's not home." She suggested and everyone agreed, following Max out of the door and to her trailer.