FORTY

-SCHEME-

-
SCHEME
-

THE NEXT MORNING, all five teens returned the the boat shed to see Eddie and they had brought him food, since he probably hadn't eaten in a little while. Dustin pushed the door open, making Eddie jump half a mile.

"Delivery service!" He grinned and passed Eddie a drink and a box of cereal. Everyone found a place to stand or sit while Eddie hopped back into the boat to eat. "So we got, uh, some good knew and some bad news. How do you prefer it?" Dustin asked.

"Bad new first, always." Eddie answered.

"Alright, bad news. We tapped into the Hawkins PD dispatch with our Cerebro, and they're definitely looking for you. Also, they're, uh, pretty convinced you killed Chrissy." Dustin explained.

"Like, 100% kind of convinced." Max added.

"And the good news?" Eddie asked.

"Your name hasn't gone public yet. But if we found out about you, it's only a matter of time before other do too." Irina told him.

"And once that gets out, everyone and their shallow-minded mother is gonna be gunning for you." Robin said.

"Hunt the freak, right?" Eddie grimaced.

"Exactly." Robin confirmed.

"So, before that happens, we need to find Vecna, kill him, and prove your innocence." Dustin told him.

"That's all, Dustin? That's all?" Eddie huffed.

"Yeah, no, that's pretty much it." Dustin said.

"Listen, Eddie, I know everything Dustin is saying sounds totally delusional, but we've actually been through this kind of thing before. I mean, they have a... a few times, and I have once. Mine was more flesh-based, theirs was more smoke-related, Irina's was more evil Russians, but bottom line is, collectively, I really feel like we got this." Robin explained.

"Yeah, see, we usually rely on this girl who has superpowers, but, uh, those went bye-bye, so..." Steve said.

"So we're technically in more of the..." Robin trailed off.

"Brainstorming phase." Max finished.

"Brainstorming." Steve clicked his fingers in agreement.

"There's nothing to worry about." Dustin said just as they heard sirens in the distance.

"Shit." Steve muttered.