THREE

—ABERRATION—

ABERRATION

IT SOUNDED ODD, but for Irina lunch time was the worst time of the school day. She had to sit alone - not that it was any different to how she had to sit in class - but the students were all free roaming.

Irina had brought her own lunch again so she sat at the end of one of the tables, eating her sandwich and sipping on her water. The rest of the table was empty, but it was just the start of lunch so there was no doubt that someone would snag the other end it the table soon.

In fact, it couldn't have been worse people to sit at the other end of the table. Tommy and his posse slowly approached her table and sat down. Irina could already hear his and Carol snickering about something but she just chose to ignore it. However, this deemed to be much harder when Carol slid across the table so she was directly in front of Irina.

"Is there something you need, Carol?" Irina smiled through gritted teeth.

"Yeah. You off this table. It's ours." Carol smiled that fake smile at Irina. She knew exactly what she was doing. Irina wanted to move, but she didn't want Carol to think she was moving because she asked her to.

"Finders keepers." Irina shrugged. After she said that, she felt Tommy slide over to them too so now Carol was in front and Tommy was besides her. She peeked over to see which posse members hadn't come to torment her. It was Steve. He was the only one that stayed away.

"How about now?" Tommy asked and pushed Irina's water bottle over, spilling it all down her hoodie and jeans and all over the table. Irina jumped slightly at the coldness on her warm leg and she pursed her lips together as people began to stare and laugh.

"Dude!" Steve snapped. "Not cool." He added. Irina just looked at him and sighed, pushing her chair back so she could stand up.

"Congratulations." Irina huffed. "Have fun eating lunch off a wet table." She added before walking out of the canteen, ignoring all the stares and snickers, to attempt to dry her clothes.

***

Tonight was also the night of Tina's party. Irina was seriously contemplating whether she should go. Especially since what happened earlier at school. Also, for one, she didn't have an outfit, and, two, she hated 99% of the people there. What good could possibly come out of it?

"Просто иди. Ты даже можете немного понаслаждаться (Just go. You might even enjoy yourself a little)." Svetlana persuaded.

"Сомневаюсь. Но я пойду. Просто чтобы убраться с дороги на Хэллоуин (I doubt it. But I'll go. Just to be out of your way on Halloween)." Irina rolled her eyes.