FORTY-NINE

-DESPONDENCY-

-
DESPONDENCY
-

THE FEELING OF swimming through the gate underwater would be a strange feeling if Irina wasn't so overwhelmed with distress and how she would find Steve once she was through. This only worsened when she heard his screaming. Once she was through the gate she fell onto her hands and knees but wasted no time scrambling back up.

What she saw left her in a state of shock. There were these giant bat type things everywhere and, more worryingly, Steve was on the floor being strangled and eaten by them. That set into Irina's instincts. There was an ore on the floor near her so she grabbed it and raised it besides her before swinging it forwards and hitting the two bat things that were biting Steve's abdomen, making them back off hurt.

Robin, Nancy and Eddie had all made it through by now, too, and we're all equally shocked and panicked by where they had ended up.

"Robin!" Irina called and Robin rushed over, standing on the tail of the bat thing that was choking Steve while Irina beat the shit out of it with the ore.

"Kill it!" Robin yelled, but another one flew down and landed on Irina's back. Robin and Nancy rushed to her to help while Eddie grabbed the other ore and batted more of them away. Robin managed to snag the one from off Irina by the tail and slam it onto the ground while Irina picked up the ore again, twisting it around to the slim end and driving it into the demo-bat.

By now, Steve had managed to get free and had the demo-bat by the tail and slammed it repeatedly into the ground before pressing his foot onto it and tearing it in half.

"Steve, Jesus, are you okay?!" Irina was the first one at his side. Her eyes were glued to the damage done on his rib cage and Steve could feel the panic radiating off her.

"Well, they only took about a pound of flesh, but other than that... never better." He breathed out, catching his breath.

"You scared me. Why can't you just stick to being the babysitter?" Irina asked, rhetorically.

"Because then you would've volunteered to go into the water first, and it would've been you in my position right now. So, I am not sticking as the babysitter." Steve said.

"Uh, do you think these bats have, like, rabies?" Robin questioned.

"What?" Steve asked.

"It's just that rabies are, like, my number one greatest fear. And I think we should get you to a doctor, like, really soon because once symptoms set in, it's too late. You're already, like, dead." Robin explained.