Trans Sarah (The Polar Express)

December1957

Itwas Christmas time in Grand Rapids, Michigan and the Hero Boy Chriswasn't sure what to think. Sure, he loved being with his family,getting presents, and being off school but he didn't know about thewhole Santa thing. It just didn't seem to make sense. How could oneman travel the whole world in one night? How could he fit all thosepresents on his sleigh? How could he live at a place so cold? Therewere many more questions on top of those. Everyone always told himthe same thing, magic. Okay, maybe that's possible but he wasn'tsure. The more he thought about it the less sense it made. Hisbrother Scott made very little sense as well. He always said it wasmagic too. But that wasn't the odd thing about his brother. Scottoften acted more like a girl. Not just often but all the time; it wasmore like he was a sister than a brother. He loved cute animals,dolls, pink, and he often caught him looking at girls clothes whenshopping. Some of these often came into play.

"Mommy,can I have a doll for my birthday?" Scott asked.

"Dollsare kind of girls toys, Scott. You don't want one of those." Scottlooked disappointed. There was another time in a store where Scottasked their mom why he couldn't get a skirt.

"ButI want a skirt. Why do I have to wear pants?"

"Boysdon't wear skirts, Scott." Mom said.

"MaybeI'm really a girl. I hate being a boy." Scott pouted. Moms grip onthe cart tightened. This had happened more than one.

"Webetter get home and get dinner ready." She said ignoring Scott. Butthe problems didn't stop there. Scott started a habit of wearing hismothers clothes. He would put on her dresses and skirts and prancedaround his room. His parents caught him several times.

"Hey,Sport." Dad said to Scott."How would you like..." He saw Scottwearing one of his mothers dresses. "Oh, jeez not again."

"I'msorry I'm sorry I'm sorry." Scott was crying.

"Howmany times do we have to tell you to stopping doing this? Startacting like a real boy." He took all the clothes and stormed out.There was another time where Chris caught him.

"Pleasedon't tell mom and dad. They will get mad and dad will get his belt.Please don't tell them."

"Okay,I won't. But why do you keep wearing girls clothes? If you stoppedyou wouldn't get in trouble anymore." Scott looked down andsniffed.

I-I don't know. I think- I think I wanna be a girl."

"Youwanna be a girl?" Chris asked confused. Scott nodded.

"Iwanna wear cute clothes and have long hair. I wanna play with dollsand be like mom. I wanna be your sister." Chris was silent. Hedidn't have any words to say "Can- Can I be your sister, Chris?"Scott said wiping tears from his eyes. "Can I be Sarah?"

"Youreally feel like you're a girl?" Chris asked. Sarah nodded. Hesighed and nodded as well. "Okay, I admit this is really weird. Idon't know why you would want to be a girl. But if it hurts you thatbadly you can be my sister in secret." Sarah squired and clappedher hands before hugging Chris.

"Ilove you, Chris."

"Ilove you too, Sarah."

ThatChristmas Eve Chris got ready for bed. While he had been callingScott Sarah instead they did have a little fight over Santa. He saidhe wasn't sure if he was real or not which annoyed Sarah who said hedid. He could later see his parents tucking Sarah into bed.

"Scott.You need to stop this." His father said. "We were gentle about itat first but you can't keep doing this." The problem had gone fromSarah wearing girls clothes to insisting she was a girl to herparents.

"ButI'm not a boy I'm a girl. I'm a girl girl girl girl." Sarah startedcrying again.

"Scott."their father said annoyed but their mom stepped in.

"Scott.You're just confused right now. Your father and I have been talkingand we both have agreed to take you to a doctor who will teach you tobe a proper boy. We just want to help you."

"No!"Sarah cried. "I'm a girl. Chris knows I'm his sister. I don't wantto be a boy! Don't make me go." Eventually the subject switched toSanta and they sent Sarah to sleep. They walked out with his momcarrying her clothes Sarah took.

"Whatare we going to do?" Mom asked. "What if this doctor doesn'twork? The problem is getting worse and worse. First it was justliking dolls and now he wants to be a girl."

"Idon't know." Dad said.

"Maybe,Maybe we should just let him be a girl."

"What?Have you lost your mind?"

"Thisproblem isn't going away. The other day we caught him with thescissors and holding his.." Mom choked. "But if we allow him atleast he'd be happy."

"Ifthis doctor doesn't work we'll send him to a special school to dealwith this. If they can't figure it out... we'll talk from there. Momnodded. After they left Chris heard Sarah in her room. She was on herknees by the window praying"

"Dear,Santa. All's I want is to be a girl and nothing else. Just to be agirl named Sarah except on one remembers I used to be a boy... exceptmaybe my brother Chris because he knows I'm a girl."

Lateron Chris awoke to a train outside. He went on an adventure to theNorth Pole. He met a few new people.

"Doyou have any siblings?" Holly asked.

"Ihave one sister. But my parents think she's my brother."

"Think?"Lenny said adjusting his glasses. "Haven't they ever checked? Howcould they not know if your sister is a boy or girl?" Chrisexplained it to everyone who looked surprised.

"I'mamazed your sister still believes in Santa after all of that."Billy told him.

Lateron they got at the North Pole. Chris now knew Santa was real. Withthat he got the first gift which he choose to be a sleigh bell.

"Santa."Chris said. "There's also something else; something my sisterwants."

"Yoursister?"

"Scottisn't a boy she's a girl. Her name is Sarah and she's a girl. Herbiggest wish is for everyone to see that. To be a real girl. Can youdo it?"

"I'llsee what I can do."

Lateron Chris returned home.

"Goodluck to your sister." The Conductor James said.

Whenhe went inside nothing changed. Scotts name was still on herstocking. If nothing happened she would be heartbroken. Chris went tosleep. The next mourning he was woken up my Sarah who lookeddifferent.

"Wakeup Santas been here." Chris was shocked when he looked at Sarah.She now had long hair and a girls nightgown on.

"MerryChristmas, Sarah." Their parents said. Santa did it. He turnedSarah into a girl. It was the happiest he'd ever seen her. No oneseemed to remember Scott existed. Chris was happy for her. Only heand Sarah seemed to remember. For a while Chris wasn't sure if sheremembered her past self but she eventually showed she did.

"Thanksfor always believing in me, brother. Merry Christmas."

"MerryChristmas, sis."

WhileSarah claimed to not hear the bell anymore Chris saw her ringing itevery Christmas. She believed.