Trans Winnie (The Wonder Years)

Kevinwas 12 years old in 1968. He was starting to become a man. No longercould he just watch cartoons or go outside and play; he needed toexplore his world. He had a pretty good family. He had a very firmbut loving father who wasn't too find of the 60s culture. His motherwas just like any mother though she wanted to make something out ofher life than being a house wife. His sister Karen was more in thenew culture unlike her father. He and Wayne often got in fights. Hehad the bruises to prove it. Despite that they were still brothers.His best friend was Paul Pfeiffer. He was very smart and was Jewishas well. He was also allergic to everything. Then there was his otherfriend Winston. Winston was a different case. He liked him and allbut he was different from other boys. He didn't play sports with theguys or liked to get dirty. He even preferred to be with the girls.It's like he was one. Little did Kevin know that would become more areality. One day Winston started wearing girls clothes and wanted tobe called Winnie instead. He remembered the day well. He haven't seenWinifred most of the summer so he thought that he would lookdifferent. He walked up to him and Paul smiling.

"Heyguys." Winifred said. "I guess I look a bit different." Kevinand Paul's jaws were dropped.

"Winifred."Paul said. "What happened to you?"

"Ihave something to tell both of you. I'm a woman trapped in a mansbody. A transsexual. I've always felt like a girl and now I'm goingto be one. I have a new wardrobe and even a new name. I'm Winnienow." She smiled again.

"Hair."Paul pointed. Kevin was still speechless.

"It'sa wig. Though I have been growing it all summer." She took off thewig to reveal longer hair. Not nearly as long as the wig but longerthe last time they saw her. "What do you think?" They both lookedamazed.

"Um.Yeah. You look good." Paul said.

"Kevin."Winnie said." Kevin had trouble finding his words.

"I,uh, well, um, yeah. I also think you look good. I also like your namename."

"So."Paul said. "If you're a girl now does that mean you got that... youknow... surgery... down there." Kevin was surprised Paul asked thatalready. Though he was happy he didn't have to. Winnie shook herhead.

"I'mtoo young. The youngest for some doctors is 18 and even many of themare resistant."

"Areyou going to grow..b...br...brea breast?" Paul had a hard timesaying.

"Oneday. I'm one these things called blockers now. They stop ye body fromdeveloping testosterone so I never get facial hair or a deep voice. Ican't get estrogen for a few years at least."

"Andyour parents are okay with this?" Kevin asked.

"Well,yes and no. It took my mom time but she's now letting me be herdaughter. We've even did some mother daughter things together. She'sstill getting used to it though. As for my dad he's barely talked tome since. My brother is supportive of me though. The minute I toldhim I was a girl he called me by my name and his sister." As thebus came the two tried to get all this together.

Gonewere the overalls and in were the skirts. She also got contacts so nomore glasses anymore. There was even a word for it. Transsexual.Kevin read about some man who became a woman back in the 50s. Thoughthey did looked rather manish in women clothes. Because Winnie hadn'thit puberty yet she still had a high voice and no facial hair and shewanted to keep it that way. Not long after that Winnie's brother diedin Vietnam. She was devastated. Kevin found her in the woods andcomforted her.

"Hewas the first person to support me." Winnie webt. "Now he'sgone." Kevin let her cry on his shoulder. After that her parentsgot divorced. The stress of losing their oldest and now only son aswell has have a kid with gender issues was too much on theirmarriage. Kevin and Winnie would eventually go on some dates. Atfirst Kevin wasn't sure about it knowing other kids would think it'sweird to go out with the former boy. But he found himself enjoyingthem. "They were at an amusement park enjoying some rides andtalking.

"Youknow, Kevin. I feel like we've become better friends recently. Eversince I transitioned we've really become closer."

"Iknow. I feel like I've gotten to know you. The real you."

"Iknow that you were worried about your reputation at school if youdated me. So it really means a lot." Winnie said. Kevin smiled.

"It'sno biggie. Both Paul and I knew the risk of being your friend. Wedon't care." They continued walking when two guys from schoolwalked up.

"Isee you're still hanging guy with that thing." A boy named Henrysaid.

"Ididn't know you were gay, Arnold. Dating a boy." Another boy namedZach laughed.

"I'mnot gay." Kevin. "And she's a girl."

"I'msure under his pants that wouldn't be true." Henry chuckled. Winnielooked down.

"Ialways knew you were weird, Cooper. I didn't know you were that muchof a sissy."

"Iread those surgeries are expensive." Henry taunted. "If you wantwe can give you a free one." He said laughing and flicking a knife.Winnie was crying now. Kevin lost it here and pushed Henry to theground. He then grabbed Zach and pushed him to a tree.

"Sheis a girl! She always has been and always will be. And if you haveanything to say about it I'll take off your manhood and you clearlydon't deserve it." He punched him in the face and kicked Henry inhis giving both boys bloody noses and they left. Kevin come down andwent to Winnie.

"Youokay?" Winnie nodded.

"Thankyou."

"Comeon. Let's go home."

"Overthe next couple years Kevin and Winnie dated on and off. She soonstarted her little pills which let her develop like the other girls.By the end of high school it was hard to tell the difference betweenher and the girls. By the summer when they were both 17 they werestill friends. After spending a night in a cabin together they talkedtheir futures.

"I'mnot sure I want to do it." Winnie said.

"Dowhat?" Kevin asked.

"Thefinal surgery. It's just I'm kind of scared. What if something goeswrong. Maybe it will be better to stop here."

"You'vebeen waiting you whole life for this. There's no reason to stop now.If you do you let those bullies win. If you do get it you prove themwrong. You'll be Winnie forever and they can't change that."

"Willyou be there for me?"

"Ofcourse."

Winniegot the surgery the next year. Kevin was there for her when she wokeup. Despite all their times together they choose not to marry andmove on from each other. Winnie moved to France to study art history.Kevin got married and had a son with his wife. Kevin and Winniestayed friends for the rest of their lives. Kevin still looks backand wonder.