Chapter 34 - Rosa POV

"Luca!" I scream, rushing down the hall, "Luca, where the fuck are you?"

He did it; Gio fucking did it. I haven't been able to sleep since he told me the plan. My mind has been churning non stop with all of the different ways it could go wrong.

When he called just now to tell me that it's over, it's like a physical weight was lifted from my chest. Like I can finally take a deep breath.

"Why are you yelling?" Luca's voice makes me jump.

I back peddle a few steps to the doorway of the gym, "he did it."

"I can do many things, Rosa, but reading minds is not one of them," he replies as he grabs a towel.

"Gio," I clarify, "he just called and said that he ended it."

"That's great," he smiles, "when do you want to go back?"

"Now," I reply quickly.

He laughs and shakes his head, "go pack your shit and I'll talk to Victoria."

"I can and will commission a plane without you," I remind him.

"Just go," he waves his hand in a shooting manner.

I start down the hall again with a pep in my step. When Luca first told me that I needed to move to America, I was pissed. I told him that he has no right to dictate what I do with my life and that I was perfectly content in Italy. But now, I can't fucking wait.

I go into my room and pull my suitcase out from under the bed. I start tossing my clothes inside not even bothering to fold them. The sooner I pack, the sooner we can leave, and the sooner I can see Gio.

I haul my luggage to the doorway of my room before calling out, "soldato."
(Soldier)

I can hear footsteps echoing in the hallway. I rock on the balls of my feet as I wait. Finally, a young soldier makes his way over and stands at attention.

"Porta questi in macchina, per favore," I request with a smile.
(Bring these to the car, please)

He nods once and grabs the suitcases. I watch him disappear down the hall before grabbing my purse and following behind him. I rush down the stairs, bypassing the foyer, to the basement.

It's dark and damp down here. The stone walls don't do much to keep the subfloor warm either so even though it's summer, chills race down my spine.

I maneuver the complicated series of passageways until I stand in front of the family vault. I double check to ensure no one else is around before putting in the combination. The old, heavy door creaks as I open it. I stride inside and put my hands on my hips as I look around.

There's a vault in the states but it's not like this. The jewels sitting on the shelf in front of me could buy a few small countries. There's classic paintings, renaissance era shit, and a seemingly endless amount of silver trinkets. It's also where the family ledger is; a comprehensive family tree.

I walk over to the far corner of the vault. It's here that a different family crest marks the boxes. The Marino's have been an integral part of the DiSilva family for generations and as such earned their spot in the vault.

I used to come down here a lot when I was younger. I've always loved history and finding the story behind the treasures stored here. That's why I know so much about what's inside; I catalogued it all myself.

I pull out one of the boxes and lift the lid. Inside sits a set of silver cuff links with diamonds on the front face. They belonged to Gio's grandfather and have been collecting dust since he died. I put them in my bag before putting the box back.