59. JULIET AND BARTY'S TRUE INTENTIONS

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖑𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖉
* * *

𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕷𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖗 𝕬𝖓𝖉 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖑𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖉* * *

February 1976

It was three weeks after the incident in the Great Hall. Juliet was shy with her public appearances but she was quite casual with her friends. It also helped that the entirety of the group shielded her like guard dogs.

Nobody asked questions, but everyone gossiped.

She pretended like she didn't hear but she did hear everyone talk about it. About what was possibly meant when Crouch said what he said.

Remus gave her the space she needed, but he didn't act cold towards her, he kept her company and showed her that he was there to listen, there for her. That was enough for Juliet.

So, the day before Valentine's, Juliet who was making her way to her common room from her Quidditch practice, expected her usual route to be empty.

But, she was grabbed by the arm when turning the corner of a hallway.

Immediately on alert, she turned around, her free hand making its way to her pocket where her wand was.

"You?" The brunette girl glared at Crouch Jnr.

"We need to talk." He pleaded.

"I have nothing to say to you." She attempted yanking her hand away, but his grip on her was strong.

"Okay, then just listen to me, please."

"No! Let me go!" She ordered, panic slowly setting in her system.

"Juliet, I never meant to hurt you, I didn't mean a single word I say, I swear, I'm so sorry." He rambled quickly as she finally freed herself, taking two steps back.

"I don't believe you. Why are you telling me this?" She looked around, suspecting one of his friends to appear from around a corner.

"The reason I gave you the potion was because I was furious when I saw the article. You with Loony Lupin? I could be better to you, I can treat you right, Juliet." His eyes held guilt and regret but also a glint of determination.

"You've got some fucking nerves Crouch, after what you said to me in the Great Hall. Remember that?" The frown evident on her face, she couldn't help but feel disgusted.

"I know, I'm sorry, I was angry-"

"What did you do to me?" She cut him off, the need to know overpowering her every sense.

"What?"

"When you poisoned me, what did you do to me?"

"What do you mean? I didn't do anything, we just hung out, held hands." He seemed confused, the lack of smugness brought her some sort of relief.

"That's it?"

Please, tell me that was it.

"Yes, I wouldn't touch you without your consent." He shook his head.

"Why? Because you're not that type of lad? The potion you gave me would have given you the consent you want, so why should I believe you?"

"Because I love you! I've been in love with you for years, Potter! Lupin wouldn't even look your way in first year, but I did! I noticed you, I saw you!" The Slytherin exclaimed.

"What the hell are you saying!?" She cried out, fear combining with the panic as he was approaching her.

"I wasn't going to touch you, I wanted to take it slow, so please, if you'd just give me a chance to prove that I can be good to you, I-"

"Back up." Regulus Black, whose apparition neither of them had noticed, stepped in between the two, facing Crouch.

"Regulus, stay out of this." Bartemius told him.

"No. You hurt her enough, if you loved her, you wouldn't have done any of the things you did. So, do her a favor and leave her alone." His voice was steady and stern.

"What's it to you?" The older Slytherin squinted his eyes at him.

"None of your business. Do the others know you're here?"

It was smart of him to pull that card on Bartemius, as he was scared shitless of them. He knew how to get rid of him.

Sighing, Crouch sent another sorry look towards Juliet before walking away. Once he was gone, Regulus turned to the Gryffindor girl with a worried expression.

"Are you okay?"

She nodded in response. "Thank you." A beat. "How'd you know he was here?"

"Slytherins have Quidditch practice right now. I saw him watching and following you as you were leaving. Wanted to make sure you were safe."

Juliet stared at him gratefully for a moment. "You warned me, I should have listened to you."

"You did listen to me, I noticed you watching your surroundings the week that followed, looking more paranoid than Trelawney." He teased slightly, rolling his eyes.

It was easy for him to be himself when he was in presence of Juliet, or Amos, or Pandora. They brought out the side of himself that he kept hidden from everyone else, even when he hadn't talked to them for some time.

"Still. Thanks for looking out for me."

"Just returning the favor." He shrugged.

Because he knew that whatever he did, she would still accept him and welcome him with open arms.

"You have practice." She reminded softly, not truly wanting him to leave.

"I do. Are you going to be fine?" He knew they weren't very close to Gryffindor Tower.

In response, she took out her wand and waved it in the air. Nodding his head with the tiniest smile, he turned to leave.

"Hey, Reg?" He looked back. "We're still friends, right?"

Chuckling, he continued walking. "Depends on how hard you hit Crouch, Potter."

* * *

yall missed my references, didn't you