VII

┍━━━•☽°•°❀°•°☾•━━━┑
 I desired you
난 너를 갈망했다
┕━━━•☽°•°❀°•°☾•━━━┙

The day had finally arrived. The big day everyone was both excited and nervous for.

All the dancers were in their own separate green rooms backstage. While Minghao was getting his makeup done, I kept on pacing back and forth.

When it was my turn to get my makeup, I kept on playing with my hands. My breaths were shaky. I felt a hand cover mine and I opened my eyes.

"Hey, calm down," Minghao said as he handed me a bottle of water. I took it but didn't drink it.

"Stop being so nervous. Just think of this as rehearsal, or practise."

"But-but so many people will be watching us! And you said your parents are coming too, no?"

Minghao sighed. The makeup artist asked me to check my makeup and I nodded with thanks.

"Look, when a dancer is up on stage, they do, yes, become conscious of the people watching. But once you're actually up there, it'll be fine. Just do what you have always done during practice. Besides, you won't be alone. I'll be there with you." Minghao smiled."I believe in you."

I swallowed as I nodded. "Thank you, Minghao. Truly. Not just for this, but...for everything. For approaching me that day, for training with me, for...everything. I don't think I'd have made it here without you."

He pulled me into a hug. "Let's give our everything up there."

With that, he let go of me and went to join some other dancers. I looked at myself in the mirror. I was wearing one of those fancy flowy capes. It was tight around my waist and shoulders and hugged my curves. My black hair had been pulled up into a bun atop my head. My face was covered with a slight layer of makeup and dark eyeshadow. I focused on my breathing.

Just breathe in. Hold it. Breathe out.

After a few more minutes, I was given the signal that it was time for us to start performing. I took a deep breath as Minghao enthusiastically nodded to me. We both tied our strings on our arms and stepped upon the platform that would raise us up to the stage.

The platform slowly raised up, and the cheers of the audience were audible. Even after 2 hours, they were still cheering enthusiastically. Minghao and I walked forward and bowed deeply. He then raised his head and faced me with a smile.

"Let's do this, my I."

I was too fazed to process what he had said, so I simply nodded and got into my position. Once the music began, the crowd burst out into a roar and all eyes were on us. As the performance progressed, I became more confident and managed to perform better than ever before.

The music made me feel like I was flying, like nothing else could touch me.

We danced through the song and gave our all until the last note and bowed to our applause. The crowd was screaming and shouting for us.

As we got off the platform, I saw Minghao smiling wide and hugging my side, his face bright red. I returned his hug, a huge grin forming on my lips as well.

Our trainers approached us, and we were taken backstage. Everyone congratulated us on a wonderful performance and gave us compliments on how we performed. I couldn't stop smiling.

The contest was about to come to an end. They were about to announce the winning teams.

The announcer started talking. "Next, we have...the winners! A total of 50 students, and 25 teams participated in The National China Dance Competition! The top three teams from today's contest will be given a chance to enter and train in major companies of dance of their choice. Each team has shown us different aspects of dance, and I would like you all to know that regardless of your positions, you have all given your best. The names of the winning teams will be announced tonight on TV."

I took a deep breath. Okay, Jia. Even if you don't win, you did your best. This is the best you have ever done.

But a part of me couldn't stop thinking that maybe if we did win this...maybe I could finally go back to my hometown. Back to my family. I wondered if they were watching this.

We heard the announcement over the speaker system once again.

"I'll start with third place! For third place, we have..."

I huffed out another deep breath. Minghao's hand slipped into mine and he squeezed it. I squeezed it back as we watched the team who had gotten third place go up on stage and shake hands with the judges.

"And now...the moment you all have been waiting for since the start of this year! We're finally going to announce the first position...right away!"

The announcer continued talking but I wasn't listening anymore. I could barely hear him over the sound of my heart beating against my chest.

"And the team who placed first..."

A very dramatic pause...and...

"Team 'My I' from The Royal Academy of Dance! Congratulations on your victory."

It felt like time stood still. All I could focus on was the feeling of Minghao's arms hugging me tightly and his soft giggles against my neck.

"Jia we did it! We did it, Jia!" He repeated over and over again.

"Team My I, please come up on the stage and give your speech!"

Minghao released his embrace, grabbed my hand, and gently tugged me onto the stage. We made our way up to the podium.

"I guess I should start with a thank you, too, of course, my partner, Moon Jia," Minghao said as he started his speech while looking at me with the brightest smile on his face. He took a shaky breath as his hand once again slipped around mine. "We never expected this, honestly. We just did our best. I'm glad fate took me to that practice room that day, and I'm so glad that Jia didn't give up. Please also support her a lot in the future," Minghao said as he bowed. Tears were already flowing down my face, and the only thing that was able to come out of my mouth was a hoarse "Thank you so much,"

Minghao and I got back down backstage. I buried my head in his shoulders as I sobbed. His hands rubbed circles around my back.

"Thank you. Thank you for showing me this path. Thank you for offering your hand to the helpless girl that day, and for showing her that there was a ray of light. I don't know how I can ever repay you. Thank you, so so much," I sobbed as I looked up at him.

Minghao held me closer to him and lifted my chin up with his free hand. His fingers wiped away my tears and traced circles on my cheek. He smiled at me.

"There's no need to pay me anything. You deserve nothing less than what you've achieved. And I'm so, so proud of you. So proud of us." His voice turned soft and full of emotion.

He slowly began leaning into me. I closed my eyes as I felt his lips upon mine. The lips that tasted like...like vanilla latte.

Our noses brushed together as I felt a shiver down my spine, and I swear that it wasn't just the wind that caused that feeling. His hands slowly slid down from my cheeks to my neck and wrapped around me. He deepened our kiss as we swayed back and forth. He brought me even closer as he kissed me with such passion and care that I swore time stopped. After a while, he broke the kiss and rested his forehead against mine. I opened my eyes to see him looking at me intently.

"I love you," He whispered. I giggled softly as I moved to place another kiss on his nose.

"I love you, too."

══════ ☽ • ☾ ══════

word count: 1.35K words