"The way he was so happy that you didn't die. You should have seen the smile on his face. It was like none I had ever seen. Can you imagine the sadness and disappointment he felt when you rejected him and told him you wanted nothing to do with him anymore? In a blink of an eye, the Jameel I married returned. His smile ceased, and when he managed to smile, it looked lifeless. Jameel became more withdrawn than he initially was. And because I was affected and tired of seeing him that way, as a good friend, not as a wife, I decided to step in and help him. He was reluctant to accept my help because he didn't want to upset you but I managed to convince him that I wouldn't do anything to upset you. I gave him my words that I'd only speak to you which of course I did, but not as I promised him," she puffed out air from her mouth. "I knew Jameel must have cajoled you and all that but you still refused to accept him because of whatever reason you may have had, so I decided to go about it differently." She nodded. "I said all those mean stuff to you because I wanted to provoke you into marrying Jameel...and it worked. I want to sincerely say sorry to you, Afrah, for lying; I'm sorry, though I don't regret my decision. If I have to, I'd do it over again."

Afrah blinked severally as if trying to grasp everything Najah had just said. "You deceived me?"

"I had to," she admitted. "I'm sorry I did. There was just no other way."

Afrah chuckled humorlessly. "Let me get this straight; you planned this? With Jameel?"

"No!" Najah was quick to deny the allegation. "Jameel had no idea about my plan. He still doesn't know about it. Jameel isn't a part of this. I kept him in the dark, and planned this on my own..."

"You're even worse than I thought!" Afrah fired. "To think I was regretting the way I spoke to you earlier. I can't believe I almost fell into your trap. Ya Allah!" Afrah facepalmed. "This is unbelievable You're not only a desperado, but you're also a crook!"

"I know how you must be feeling but you should unde—"

"Shut up! You know nothing about how I'm feeling right now. I feel so stupid right now to have indulged you. I must have looked so pathetic arguing with you."

"My approach was wrong, I admit, but it was for a good course. If I hadn't done what I did, you probably wouldn't be here today."

Afrah feigned sadness. "Madam Najah or whatever you call yourself, thanks a lot for getting me married to Jameel deceitfully. If it weren't for you, I'd still be at my parents' house, miserable, without a husband. For your good deed, you deserve a treasure box. What an ungrateful person I am," she wiped imaginary tears from her eyes. "Should I go down on my knees and appreciate what you've done for me? Will that be enough to show my gratitude?"

Najah sighed at Afrah's sarcastic response. It wasn't the reaction she had expected. For a fact, she knew Afrah would be offended, but she thought her anger would lessen after listening to her explanation. Afrah seemed more difficult than she had imagined her to be. "You're misunderstanding me. I didn't mean it like that."

"I don't care how you meant it. The things I hate the most in this life is being forced to do something I don't intend to do, being deceived and lied to. You did all three of that to me in one breath. There is nothing you can say to justify what you did. I'm a grown woman. I think I have the right to make decisions for myself. If it was my will to stay away from Jameel, you should have respected it or at least had a couth conversation with me and find out why. You don't know the reason I was hell-bent on staying away from him. You know nothing! Absolutely nothing! Did you think I just wanted to break his heart for the fun of it? or do you think it was an easy decision for me? Do you even know what I have had to endure because of him? The sacrifices I had to make? The pain I went through? The tears? This is a man I have loved for a long time...the first and only. I had my reason for pushing him away. Valid reasons." Afrah quickly wiped the corners of her eyes and gritted her teeth. "Now, bear in mind that whatever comes your way, you had it coming! You will live to regret ever messing with me. It's not even a threat."