Chapter Fourteen

Dean

We're dating, but we're also not dating. We're together, but we're not officially together. So much for being professional and staying away from Evelyn.

So much for all the warning bells blaring in my head, reminding me how it's going to end.

With heartbreak.

Evelyn and I were too into the moment to think about our consequences. We were in too deep.

We were so far down the hole that I couldn't even see the hole anymore. All I knew was Evelyn, all I felt was Evelyn, and all I saw was Evelyn.

This woman was the core of my entire existence and I revolved around her like how the planets orbited the sun. Evelyn was my goddamn sun. All bright, beautiful, and so fucking hot.

You could bring up a million reasons as to why we shouldn't be together, and all I could think was of one reason why we should.

We were perfect together, no scratch that, we were fucking dynamite together. Explosive, dangerous, and boisterous.

I couldn't even focus on work, or life, because I thought about her twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. I dreamt of her. I woke up missing her.

I've been preoccupied with work lately, and most of our conversations are on the phone now, but fuck, I missed her.

I missed her with a bold capacity, that I've never felt before. I wanted to take this woman and delve her deep inside me so I could feel her close to my heart.

I wanted to turn over in the morning and find her in my bed, all snuggled up, with her curls taking up half the pillow. I wanted to kiss her good morning and kiss her when I got home from work.

It was a biting, overbearing, urge and I couldn't for the life of me stop myself. It would get out of hand and when it would, it would explode in my face, yet I put all those thoughts on mute.

I didn't want to think about Nick finding out or what would happen by the end of the three months.

I was living in the moment. In the right now. With Evelyn. And fuck me, but I was happy. I don't remember the last time I felt this happy.

I stopped by to buy some flowers for Natalie since she had invited me over for dinner.

I parked my car and grabbed the bouquet while wishing I could buy one for Evelyn as well, but we couldn't have everything. Sam opened the door and after greeting him, he welcomed me inside.

"This is for you." I offered the flowers to Natalie, who gushed.

"You didn't have to, Dean. You're just the sweetest." She took them and put them in a vase.

"Stop kissing ass, Dean, we're going to feed you." Nick joked, slapping my back and I discreetly gave him the finger.

Evelyn wasn't in sight, and I wondered if she was upstairs or if she was running late.

"Dad, where's Evelyn?" Nick asked once his mother set the lasagna on the table.

"Oh, she's not going to be able to make it. Her orientation was yesterday, and some of her classmates are all going out for dinner today."

His mother answered once she placed her chicken caesar salad beside the lasagna. Sam placed her homemade biscuits and then we all sat down.

I didn't know this. Evelyn didn't mention orientation. She just told me she was heading out with Anna yesterday, but she didn't message me anything else.

I pulled out my phone and scanned my messages. Nothing. I didn't miss anything.

'Where are you?' I sent her the message and sat, impatiently waiting for her to reply.