Chapter Eleven

Evelyn

"Nick, get off your laptop, and please help me hang this banner!" I yelled again.

"Okay, I told you to give me a minute." He grunted, not looking up from his stupid laptop.

"It's moms birthday. Stop working."

"I'm going to help you; just give me a minute."

"Dad!" I shouted, stomping my foot on the grass. "Nick wants me to climb up the ladder and hang the banner alone!"

"You little shit." Nick cursed, but I could see him grinning at my attempt to get him in trouble.

"Nick, get off your ass and help your sister!" My dad shouted back.

I stuck my tongue out at him, and Nick came charging at me. I didn't even see him turn off his laptop. All I saw was my older brother picking up speed as he ran towards me.

I dropped the end of the banner and began running towards the door that led inside the house. I was running as fast as I could, but Nick laughed tauntingly at me as he picked up the pace.

I turned around to see how close he was to catching me, and by the time I spun around, I hit a wall. I hit the floor fast and hard. I groaned in pain and rubbed my nose that got hit by the impact.

I looked up to see Dean standing there. Out were his casual suits, and in place were nice jeans and an expensive tight-fitting Armani shirt. Green forests with specks of honey for eyes glinted at me as he extended his hand to help me up.

I took it timidly and turned to see Nick approaching us. I hadn't seen him since that night when we fought because of that stupid potential client.

He hasn't texted me or called me since that night, and I was looking forward to seeing him today. Even if he wasn't here for me, it was still nice to see him.

"Hey, you're early," Nick said as he reached to shake his friend's hand.

"Yeah, well, your father called me this morning, asking if I could come and help out. How can I turn him down? I brought the cake too. He asked me to pick it up. I put it in the fridge." Dean explained. "Why were you chasing her?" 

"Because she was being a little brat." He replied, and I rolled my eyes at him.

"You're here to help decorate, not work. Now come on."

"I'm going to wash up and then come and help you." He said, then flicked my nose before disappearing inside, leaving me with Dean.

"How are you?" I asked.

"I'm good. How are you?"

"I'm good. I haven't heard from you in a while."

A flicker of an emotion that resembled disappointment shined in his eyes before he shook his head. I wonder if he was disappointed because he thinks I forgot our phone call. I haven't.

I just wanted him to bring it up. I had already put myself out there for him. Drunk, of course, but still, I was the one that demanded that he kiss me the next time he saw me.

"I've been busy with work."

Was that just an excuse, or was he genuinely busy with work? It's not like I was looking forward to being treated horribly by Dean or being humiliated in one of our fake dating scenarios, but I did miss him.

I knew he wasn't here for me. I knew this, yet there was a twinge of hope inside me that still made me feel like maybe he was here to see me.

He didn't have to come to my mom's birthday, especially with how we last saw each other, but he did.