Q/A #4: Proper Grammar

Mulai dari awal

(1) Adverb example: My sister will arrive [there] tomorrow.

(2) Pronoun example: Hi [there].

(3) Noun example: There is no [there].

(4) Adjective example: Those people [there] witnessed the entire ordeal.

For more information, go to: http://i.word.com/idictionary/there

—-

Their - the possessive form of "they." By possessive, we mean "to show possession."

Example: The neighbors drove [their] new car during vacation.

In the example, "their" is showing ownership [possession] of the object [car]. Who's car is it? It's "their" car.

—-

They're - the contraction form of "they are"

Example: They're [they are] hoping for a miracle.

Q: How do I use its/it's in this situation: There is a dog running around. [Its/It's] wagging its tail. How do I use the first Its/It's?

A: You would use it's because that is the contraction for the words "it is," which only makes sense to use in this case. So, the sentence would read: It's [It is] wagging its tail.

Q: Could someone [...] explain the difference between effect and affect?

A: With "effect" and "affect," it helps to remember their parts of speech. Effect is used primarily as noun and has several means. Affect is a verb (which means its performing the action) and has several meanings as well. This is important when determining which to use  in sentences because the two can be quite confusing.

For example:

"The rain had the effect [noun] of changing the entire mood of the party." Here, effect refers to "something produced by a cause."

"The rain affected [noun] the mood of the party to change." Here, affect means "to cause something to happen."

---------

"The new law will go into effect [noun] on Monday." Here, effect refers to "the state of being operative or functional."

"The new law will affect [verb] patrons on Monday." Here, affect means to "impact."

---------

"What she said had little effect [noun] on my decision." Here, effect means "to have an influence."

"What she said did not affect [verb] my decision." Here, affect means "to influence."

Q: Could you explain the who/whom (I know whose is a dative) difference? I made the sentence: "With whom do I have the honour to speak?" Is this sentence correct?

A: Both "who" and "whom" are pronouns. However, "whom" is the objective and/or dative case of the word "who" and is "used when who is not the subject of its own clause."

Let's examine your example sentence:

"With whom do I have the honour to speak?"

First of all, it's structured a bit awkwardly. Rephrased, we get:

"To whom [pronoun] do I have the honor of speaking?"

Now, we can rearrange this sentence to state:

"I have the honor of speaking to whom [pronoun]?"

Another example:

"With whom [pronoun] will I be exchanging emails?"

It appears now to be acceptable to use "who" as the objective form as well; however, "who" should never follow a preposition (to, with, for, etc.), so we would definitely use "whom" in those cases, as we've demonstrated in the example sentences.

Another example:

"The person (who) he sold the house to." [incorrect]

"The person to (whom) he sold the house." [correct]

Q: What are some of the best grammar sites you've found? I know I have a problem with grammar and that hinders me from expanding my writing capabilities by using the same things over and over. What sites do you suggest for learning grammar?

A: Try these:

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/577/03/

http://www.grammarbook.com/

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/GRAMMAR/index2.htm

http://www.grammarly.com/handbook/

Q: Can I write a sentence like:

 "Hi Mom" I said. My mom is the best person in the world. 

Can I use 'said' and 'is' together?

A: I'm not sure I understand what you are asking because "said" and "is" do not appear to be paired in the example you provided. You should, however, punctuate your example as follows:

"Hi, Mom," I said. My mom is the best person in the world. However, to express why you feel "mom" is the best, then you should help the reader by giving an example of "mom's quality". For example: "Hi, Mom," I said cheerfully, as I sat at the kitchen table to stacks of buttered pancakes, sizzling bacon, and fluffy scrambled egg. My mom is the best person in the world. Now, a reader can understand why mom is so great. She's prepared a wonderful breakfast.