EXAMPLES: Creating an Effective Summary

Here are summaries that I've created that can serve as examples for you. Many of these were created based upon actual story ideas from Wattpaders. I'll continue to add to these.

[Example 1]

Story Premise

The story is called Team. It's about a class that has been together for 8 years, and they suspect a teacher is being blackmailed. So, they try to get to the bottom of it which leads to more trouble. 

Sample Summary

For eight years, they sat together, learned together, laughed and cried together—developed a bond of friendship. And that bond, the security in knowing that a peer would be there on tomorrow, would be either strengthened or tested during the new school year. When [enter teacher's name here] begins acting strangely, this group of students soon suspects foul play.

Was their teacher actually being blackmailed? It was up to them to learn the truth!

[Example 2]

Story Premise

Paris and Khione have been recently mutated and want to know why. They, along with friends, seek to find answers and encounter mishaps along the way. 

Sample Summary

Strange occurrences, including mutation, had begun to affect Earth's inhabitants. Newly-transformed mutants, Paris and Khione, are on a hunt to learn why. If they, along with a team of friends, can learn the truth, then maybe they can reverse what's been done. But they must first overcome a string of mishaps and dangerous situations to get the answers they seek.

[Example 3]

Story Premise

Eloise is a princess recently attacked and forced to retreat into the forest where she meets a dangerous warlock then is somehow mistakened for someone else and tossed into jail.

Sample Summary

After an attack, a shocked and frightened Louisa, Princess of Candorin, is forced to retreat to the Sacred Woodland. During her retreat, she meets John Dagger, a warlock and someone with whom she should have no involvement. After this chance meeting, everything changes for the young princess. And when she becomes a victim of mistaken identity, Louisa must do everything in her power to restore her name and edge closer to the truth.

[Example 4]

Story Premise

An 18-year-old girl's parents' death remains a mystery. When she falls in love with a guy who she suspects is responsible for her parents' murder, the conflict begins.

Sample Summary

For years [or months], the death of her parents remained a mystery for eighteen-year-old Jules Clyde. The day she lost them left a devastation so deep that any thought of true happiness only alluded her. She never would have imagined a life filled with joy until she met nineteen-year-old Cole Colins, began a breathless romance, and fell in love. But love comes with a price when its foundation is built upon lies and deception.

When Jules suspects her lover of murdering her parents, a web of treachery and conflict is woven, all to learn the truth.