| Used To It |

I sigh looking down at my phone for the tenth time this night

I sigh looking down at my phone for the tenth time this night. Zaheer was still not back and I was starting to get worried. Hell, I was already worried. I'd already put Jamal to sleep about an hour ago, and waiting for his father to come back home.

I was not someone who was clingy or all up in his business, but it's already past midnight and no word from him. My thought were interrupted with the sound of the door opening and closing right after.

Footsteps echoed around the house as I waited for him to come to view. Zaheer rounded the corner stepping into the living room in a plane black shirt and grey sweatpants with keys in hand.

I moved toward him looking up at him in worry, whilst his face just held a blank expression. Something I was used to seeing and talking to everyday. My tongue swiped out wetting my lips as I opened my mouth to talk, but closed it back looking for the right words to say.

"You came late, I was worried something had happened to you." I breathed out, looking up at him finding him already looking at me, the blank expression still etched onto his face.

As soon as the words spilled out of my mouth, he raised his hand glancing at his watch probably to check the time before letting his arm drop back to his side.

"We closed late today." The low response left his lips as he breezed past me, his steady footsteps getting fainter with each step. I bit my lip turning in his direction calling his attention.

"I have food prepared for you. It's in the microwave. I'll just heat it up for you when you're out of your shower." I informed him with his back facing me. His face slightly turned in my direction as he shook his head and I already knew what was coming.

"I ate out." The words already registered in my mind before they escaped his lips. I fold my lips reaching my hand out to toy with my earring, before realizing my ear was bare so I opted to wrap them over my chest.

I nodded solemnly the words stuck in my throat. He went ahead to retire upstairs without a glance. Letting out a breath, I dragged my feet to the kitchen taking the food out of the microwave transferring it into a lean container snapping it shit.

My phone dinged from getting a notification. I moved towards it at the far end of the counter picking up seeing it a message from Rumaisa.

My phone instantly unlocked and I sifted through her messages as she complained to me that she suspected her husband was hiding something from her. I frowned at that quickly typing in my reply and she read almost immediately.

Apparently he came home acting weird and he changed his password. I knew what her mind was drifting to and I prayed in my mood that was not the case and tried as much as possible to push that off the table for now.

She told me she had to go and I assured her I would be at her house by tomorrow. I walked out of the kitchen as the sensored lights turned off.

Walking past Zaheer's room, I heard the shower running and the bathrooms light on. My eyes lingered on the bed where his clothes were folded neatly on his bed before retiring to my own room.

The morning wasn't anything special as I followed through my usual routine. Bathing Jamal, putting the house in order and coming down to make breakfast what I was most probably eating alone.

I turned on CNN as the voice of the reporter echoed in the living room and kitchen. Jamal was sitting on the floor hugging on his stuffed toy as the girl who helped me around the house, Mary played with him.

I was done making breakfast and served it for Zaheer whilst Mary hurriedly gobbled it down so she wouldn't be late for church. I picked up Jamal steadying him on my hip as I prepared his milk for him. I transferred it into his bottle for him passing it to him.

He smiled at me revealing his gums and soon latched onto the soft part of the bottle babbling on whilst I rinsed the materials I used, wiping the counters later.

Zaheer descended the stairs in his usual outfit, his eyes drifting to Jamal immediately. He pocketed his phone walking to Jamal picking him up. Jamal screamed out laughing, and it made me wonder when last he was so excited to see me.

He glanced at me and I had already served his food on the plate as I looked at him through my lashes with hopeful eyes.

"Can you just have just a bite? It's served already." I breathed out, already turning to close the opened pot full of food behind me. Unconsciously wiping the counter in the process, anything to avoid eye contact because if there's one thing I knew, Zaheer was big on eye contact.

"We're late." He sighed snatching his keys off the console in the process. His footsteps were getting fainter and soon heard the door slam closed after.

He already told me he was going out with Jamal today so I'd already bathed him, and got him ready for the outing. A deep sigh escaped my glossed lips as I focused on the task at hand, noting to hold a conference call with my friends later on.

Just to wilt away my time, I decided to take a video of what I was cooking and post it on my account, at least cheer myself up with the positive comments my followers leave behind whenever they're done watching my videos.

Thank you for reading the chapter
Sorry for the late update
More to follow