So, maybe he was over the whole million-dollar loss fiasco. I scanned his face, trying my hardest to get a read on his emotions, but to no avail. Dean was locked up tighter than a bank vault.

It didn't matter if I knew the code to get in because Dean was private even with his emotions, and I still wouldn't be able to understand how his brain worked.

The only time I felt Dean truly vulnerable was when we spoke on the phone that night a few days ago. He was sweet, calling me baby, and then he sang to me, and I swear it was like listening to an angel lull me to sleep.

"You want to help me with the banner?" I asked.

"Lead the way, little Evelyn."

"Dean, is that you?" My father bellowed as he fast-walked over to where we were.

"Sam!" Dean beamed, smiling widely up at him as they shook hands. "How's business?"

"Good. Good. Congrats on opening up that new bar. Nick tells me it's nice. We'll have to have drinks together, maybe for Evelyn's birthday next year." My dad suggested, and my face paled.

I was never going back to that bar, and I would definitely never go back with my father.

"Of course, Sam. Drinks are on me. Just let me know when." Dean spoke casually as if it was nothing, and I grew nervous and tense.

"Dad, did you finish the decorations? Mom's gonna be here any minute, and so will your guests."

"All right, bossy pants." My dad chuckled and ruffled my hair.

I fixed my hair and pulled it into a tight bun, locking it there with the band around my wrist. My stupid curls were always getting in the way, and I didn't need them to get caught in the ladder when I hung the banner.

"Dean, do not let her get on the ladder." He warned, wagging his finger at me.

My brows furrowed as I narrowed my eyes. "I'm capable of climbing a ladder, dad. I'm not an idiot."

"Don't worry, Sam. I won't let her." Dean agreed with my father, ignoring my words.

My father walked away, feeling satisfied with his warning. I groaned and stomped towards the shed. Since my parents loved the outdoors so much, we were having her birthday party outside in the garden.

Their hobbies were planting and gardening together, which resulted in a beautifully well taken care of yard with flowers of all sorts, herbs, and a lemon tree that we were using to hook one side of the banner on while hooking the other side on the shed.

After we finished hanging up the banner, I had to set up the tables and chairs and the snacks. Nick and my father would fire up the BBQ, and they'd start grilling the burgers and chicken I brought with me.

Dean went inside the shed and grabbed the ladder, and I stepped out of his way as he pulled it out. I was supposed to be helping him and proving a point that I could do it alone, yet all I could do was stare at Dean.

His arms and protruding biceps teased me slowly as he held it over his shoulder and then placed it against the shed. I watched him wipe the dust off his jeans, and I swallowed as I saw him grab the two handles and kick the ladder open with his leg.

An image of him forcing my thighs apart with his leg enforced itself into my brain, and I bit my lip at the thought.

Dean seemed like the type that would be rough when he was intimate, the type that'd never apologize if he pulled your hair too tight or if he left marks on your skin.

I saw him press down on the first step to push it further down in the grass and then check its stability by gripping the ladder's sides.

I wiped the sweat forming on my forehead, all from watching this man. It was a show, a very enticing show, watching the way his back muscles clenched and moved underneath that tight shirt he was wearing or seeing how firm even his backside was.