Chapter 7 - Untrackable

The cold chill of October fell upon the castle, and Cassia had garnered absolutely no answers to any of her questions. Her lessons with Snape continued periodically, and her progress continued extraordinarily. She could perform many spells without an incantation, and she was given full reign to try anything if she asked Snape to do so.

Snape, in fact, had been much kinder to her than she had ever seen him behave in class. While he wasn't overtly friendly to her, he was willing to help her and encouraged her to try any kind of magic she was compelled to. 

"Try to repair it," he said in one lesson after breaking an ink jar on the floor.

She held her wand towards the broken glass jar, lifted up the shards, fixed the pieces together, and placed it back onto the desk.

"Now, get the ink back into it."

She lifted the ink in a blob into the jar with her wand, as she had in a previous lesson.

Snape picked up the jar, examining it carefully.

"Good job, Miss Bright," he muttered. "Not a single imperfection this time."

In previous lessons, cracks had been left in the jar.

"Really?" she asked, shocked. "Nice."

"Yes, not even one. However, we must have a discussion before you may be dismissed, sit down," he waited for her to sit, and continued. "As you know, you are a very powerful witch, and your magic is unable to be spotted by the Ministry."

"Right."

"Because of this, you would be able to produce dark magic if you so desired."

"Uh-huh."

"You seem bored by this prospect."

"That's because I am," she said. "I have no interest in dark magic."

"Yes, I would hope so," he snapped. "Now, I want to explain to you why exactly the Ministry is unaware of your magic. You are what's called an Untrackable."

"Okay? So what does that mean?"

"It means you aren't able to be tracked, what else could it possibly mean, Miss Bright? The Ministry isn't aware when you use magic. I would hope that you can come to conclusions as to what that means on your own, now, you are dismissed."

She stood up quickly. 

"Oh and, Miss Bright," he said quietly as she reached the door. "Try not to tell everyone about being an Untrackable. Tell as few people as possible."

Confused and still left without many answers, she left the office and returned to the common room.

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

"A deathday party?"

Harry had finished explaining his run-in with Nearly Headless Nick, and his invitation to the party, taking place on Halloween. 

"I bet there aren't many living people who can say they've been to one of those - it'll be fascinating!" Hermione beamed.

"Why would anyone want to celebrate the day they died?" Ron grumbled, working on Potions homework. "Sounds dead depressing to me..."

Cassia was twirling her wand between her fingers, deciding she needed to tell her friends what Snape had told her earlier.

"Snape told me why the Ministry didn't know about my magic," she suddenly piped up. 

"Really?" Hermione asked, surprised.

"He said that I'm an Untrackable," she said very quietly. Hermione gasped, but the boys remained quiet. "He also said I'm not to tell many people, but I think I can trust you guys...maybe." She laughed quietly.