Chapter 5 - Up in the Air

Cassia had known how to fly for most of her life. Fred, George, and Will had taught her how at a young age despite their parent's objections, and she was pretty good at it.

So when she saw that flying lessons were starting on Thursday, and they were with the Slytherins, she groaned along with the rest of the Gryffindors.

"Typical," Harry said. "Just what I always wanted. To make a fool of myself on a broomstick in front of Malfoy."

"You don't know that you'll make a fool of yourself," Ron said reassuringly. "Anyways, I know Malfoy's always going on about how good he is at Quidditch, but I bet that's all talk."

"Ron's right," Cassia said, "I've heard that the Malfoys are known for being all talk. Plus flying isn't anything to worry about. I'm sure you'll be great at it."

Cassia enjoyed Quidditch, but she didn't think she'd ever try out for the team. Being around the Weasleys, she had a lot of practice in the sport. Despite not having a very large build and being rather young, she was a good beater. Not as good as Fred and George, but amazing for her age.

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

Cassia, Hermione, Harry, and Ron were sat at breakfast on Thursday, the day that flying lessons were going to begin. Hermione was rambling about flying tips she had read in Quidditch Through the Ages. Cassia, Harry, and Ron were bored out of their minds by what she was saying, but Neville was listening intently, hoping for anything to help him fly more smoothly.

Hermione was interrupted by the arrival of mail. Cassia's family owl, a large brown barn owl named Puffy, swooped down to drop off a letter from her parents. After Will reminded her to write to her parents, she wrote and told them all about her new teachers, friends, and how her classes were going. There were two letters in the envelope, one in her mother's loopy handwriting, and one in her father's. They read:

Dear Cassia,
I'm so glad to hear that your classes are going well! I knew you'd do just fine, and I knew that McGonagall would love you.

Will told me about you being friends with Harry Potter in his letter. That's amazing! I hope you're getting along with all of your new friends and staying out of trouble. I won't write too much, so you can get back to whatever you're up to! I love you! I hope to hear from you soon!

Mum :)

Dearest Cassia,
Your mother told me what you wrote and it sounds like you're doing well. You're friends with Harry Potter? That's really interesting. I hope you're doing well and you have some adventures that you'll be able to tell us about when you write us next. I love you, dear.

-Dad-

Cassia smiled at the two letters and turned her attention back to what was going on at the table.

Neville had gotten a Remembrall from his Gran and it was glowing red, indicating that he had forgotten something.

Malfoy, who had been passing by the table, snatched the Remembrall right from Neville's hand.

Harry, Cassia, and Ron jumped straight to their feet. They were all more than willing to fight Malfoy. They had scared him off before, and they weren't afraid to do it again.

However, McGonagall got there just in time.

"What's going on?"

"Malfoy's got my Remembrall, Professor."

Malfoy dropped the Remembrall back onto the table, scowling.

"Just looking," he said, putting his hands up in defense. He walked away with Crabbe and Goyle following him.