Chapter 13 - A Student in the Chamber

Harry and Ron kept their promise to Cassia, recounting the night's events within Hagrid's cabin. Both Dumbledore and Hagrid were taken away from Hogwarts, but before Hagrid left, he gave the two a discreet hint to 'follow the spiders.'

Things within the castle were going horribly wrong. Visitors were barred from the hospital wing, so Harry, Ron, and Cassia could no longer visit the petrified Hermione. 

Due to the absence of Dumbledore, fear spread through the students. Every face looked anxious. 

One person seemed altogether unbothered by the absence, however...

"I always thought Father might be the one who got rid of Dumbledore," Malfoy said one day in Potions, not bothering to keep his voice down. "I told you he thinks Dumbledore's the worst headmaster the school's ever had. Maybe we'll get a decent headmaster now. Someone who won't want the Chamber of Secrets closed. McGonagall won't last long, she's only filling in..."

Snape swept past without acknowledging Malfoy.

"Sir," he continued loudly. "Sir, why don't you apply for the headmaster's job?"

"Now, now, Malfoy," Snape said, trying to suppress a smile. "Professor Dumbledore has only been suspended by the governors. I daresay he'll be back with us soon enough."

"Yeah, right," Malfoy said. "I expect you'd have Father's vote, sir, if you wanted to apply for the job -I'll tell Father you're the best teacher here, sir-"

Cassia glanced toward Harry, making eye contact. They both suppressed a laugh.

"I'm quite surprised the Mudbloods haven't all packed their bags by now," Malfoy went on. "Bet you five Galleons the next one dies. Pity it wasn't Granger."

The bell rang, and Ron lept off his stool toward Malfoy while everyone collected their bags.

"Let me at him," Ron growled as Harry and Dean grabbed his arms. "I don't care, I don't need my wand. I'm going to kill him with my bare hands-"

"Hurry up, I've got to take you all to Herbology," Snape barked. "Miss Bright, come here a moment."

She sighed and walked toward the Professor. 

"You will have a lesson tonight. Professor McGonagall will collect you in your common room."

Cassia nodded, and she ran to catch up with Ron and Harry as Snape escorted them to the greenhouses for Herbology.

Professor Sprout set them to work pruning the Abyssinian Shrivelfigs. Harry stood next to Cassia, and Ernie stepped towards him. 

"I just want to say, Harry, that I'm sorry I ever suspected you," Ernie said very formally. "I know you'd never attack Hermione Granger, and I apologize for all the stuff I said. We're all in the same boat now, and, well-"

He stuck out a hand, and Harry shook it.

Ernie and Hannah then joined Harry, Ron, and Cassia to work on the same Shrivelfig. 

"The Draco Malfoy character," Ernie said, "he seems very pleased about all this, doesn't he? D'you know, I think he might be Slytherin's heir."

"Good idea," Cassia said, biting her tongue to not laugh.

"Do you think it's Malfoy, Harry?" Ernie asked.

"No," Harry said firmly. 

A moment later, Harry tapped Cassia on the arm and pointed toward a line of spiders scuttling over the floor in an unnaturally straight line. He hit Ron over the hand with his pruning shears and pointed at the same thing.