Chapter 1 - Pubs and Pointy Hats

Cassia had been to London many times, but only once before had she been to Diagon Alley. She would have enjoyed being there that first time, but instead, she was mostly annoyed at her brother's incessant bragging about him going to Hogwarts before she did.

They went a way that they hadn't before; they had run out of Floo powder the week before and hadn't yet bothered to buy any more. As they walked towards the Leaky Cauldron, earning a few looks in their direction seeing as it was a dirty pub and they did have children, Cassia read over her supplies list.

"Why can't I bring a broomstick?" she whined. "I know how to fly."

"Most first years don't Bertie, that's why there's a class," her brother remarked.

"I've told you to stop calling me that, William."

Her brother snorted in response, and their mother gave them a look that told them to stop.

As Cassia's face reddened from the nickname she so dearly hated, they arrived in Diagon Alley.

It still amazed her, despite seeing it only a year prior. Seeing all of the magical products in the shop windows made Cassia smile, eyes widening at a broomstick in a distant window that she and Ron had discussed.

She looked at the surrounding shops, taking everything in. There was a stack of cauldrons to her left, and a busy family hurrying to a bookstore to her right. 

They agreed to get Cassia's robes first, and they made their way to Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions.

Cassia's parents talked to a woman over the counter, who she assumed was Madam Malkin. After they told her what they were there for, the woman led Cassia to the back of the shop, and her family decided they were off to Flourish and Blotts to get Will's new books for his second year. Cassia was the only person being fitted in the store, and Madam Malkin struck up a conversation with her, trying to break the silence.

"So, are you excited for your first year at Hogwarts?"

"O-oh yes, yes I am," Cassia replied, stuttering at the sudden question.

"Yes, I'm sure you'll do just fine there. Have any idea what house you'll be in?"

She thought about it. "No, I don't know. I'll be happy with anything though."

"Well, I'd say you're polite enough to be in Hufflepuff," Madam Malkin chuckled. "You wouldn't believe how rude children your age can be sometimes."

"I'd believe it," Cassia said, chuckling back.

"Actually," Madam Malkin continued, pinning a spot to mark Cassia's arm length, "I had a boy come into the shop today, and he just kept goin' on and on about Quidditch and Hogwarts and blood purity to a poor boy who just looked so clueless about all of it, probably a Muggle-born. I just don't understand how someone could be so rude and oblivious."

Cassia nodded along to the story, hoping she wouldn't encounter anyone like that when she left for Hogwarts.

She talked to Madam Malkin a bit more before receiving her uniform for Hogwarts. She went back to the front of the shop wearing her new pointy hat, quite enjoying the way it looked.

That was, until Will saw it.

He looked up at her and stifled a laugh. Her face turned red and she snatched it off her head, swearing at Will under her breath.

She went with her family to get the rest of Will's things, and finally, it was the part that she had been waiting for.

They made their way to Ollivander's to pick out a wand; or, as Ollivander would say, have a wand pick her out.

When they entered the shop, they heard a bell ring and a thin old man jumped to greet them.

"Ah! The Bright family! I was wondering when the youngest was going to be getting their wand!"

The family walked towards the wands, and a  long tape measure with silver markings on it began to measure Cassia.

"Now, Ms. Bright, which is your wand arm?"

"Oh, um, left," she stuttered, still nervous to be around the man.

"Yes, I should have known."

The tape measure measured her arm from shoulder to finger, wrist to elbow, shoulder to floor, knee to armpit, and finally around her head. Then Ollivander began talking, but Cassia was too distracted by the tape measure getting the length between her two nostrils.

"I've got your measurements, right then, try this one Miss, Ashwood and Unicorn Hair center. Nine inches. Quite whippy."

She took the wand from his hand cautiously. She started to wave it, but before she could even get a full circle in the air, he took it right back from her hands.

"No, no that'll never work. Try this, holly wood and phoenix feathers, 7 inches, supple."

Once again, she took the wand and waved it around. This time, however, a stack of wands across the shop fell over. He snatched it out of her hand once again.

"Interesting, interesting. Now, perhaps I should try...I didn't think it'd work but it can't hurt...hm," said the man, scrunching up his face and looking for a specific box, "acacia wood and unicorn hair, 8 1/2 inches."

He handed her the wand, looking hopeful. She waved it and a flash of light and gold sparks erupted from the wand.

Her parents walked towards her, beaming, and Ollivander smiled warmly for finding the correct wand.

"Acacia wood..only for the most powerful witches and wizards. I should've known," he said.

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧