Chapter 10 - Light Reading

Dumbledore had convinced Harry to not go looking for the Mirror of Erised anymore. He had also been having nightmares, and he told Cassia, Ron, and Hermione (who had come back to Hogwarts a day before the term) about what he saw in them. His parents disappeared in a flash of green light, and a high voice cackled with laughter.

"You see, Dumbledore was right, that mirror could drive you mad," Ron said.

Hermione had a different view of the situation. Despite her being more relaxed about rule-breaking from when they first met her, wandering around the school in an invisibility cloak was enough to make her upset. She was also a bit disappointed that he and Cassia didn't at least find anything on Nicolas Flamel.

The quartet continued to look for information on Flamel during their breaks in between classes, but they didn't have much time. Harry had even less time with Quidditch practice starting up again.

Ron and Hermione were playing wizard chess in the common room, with Cassia sitting on the floor near them, and Harry walked through the door from practice. He looked like he was going to be sick.

"Don't talk to me for a moment. I need to concen —" Ron looked at Harry, seeing his expression. "What's the matter with you? You look terrible."

Harry explained quietly that Snape was going to be the referee for the Quidditch match against Hufflepuff.

"Don't play," Hermione said suddenly.

"Say you're ill," Ron said.

"Pretend to break your leg," Hermione suggested.

"Actually break your leg," Cassia said.

"I can't," Harry said. "There isn't a reserve Seeker. If I don't play, Gryffindor can't play at all."

Neville toppled into the common room. No one had any idea how he got through the common room, for his legs had been stuck together with a Leg-Locker Curse.

Everyone busted out laughing except for Hermione and Cassia. Hermione performed the countercurse from where she was sitting, and Cassia sprung up to make sure he was okay after he got to his feet, trembling.

"What happened?" Cassia asked him, leading him over to Hermione, Harry, and Ron.

"Malfoy," he said, sitting down. "I met him outside the library. He said he'd been looking for someone to practice that on."

"Go to Professor McGonagall!" Hermione said. Cassia put a hand on his shoulder. "Report him!"

Neville shook his head slightly.

"I don't want more trouble," he murmured.

"You've got to stand up to him, Neville!" Ron urged him. "He's used to walking all over people, but that's no reason to lie down in front of him and make it easier."

"There's no need to tell me I'm not brave enough to be in Gryffindor, Malfoy's already done that," Neville said, sounding like he was about to cry.

Harry dug in his pocket and pulled out a Chocolate Frog, handing it to Neville.

"You're worth twelve of Malfoy," Harry said. "The Sorting Hat chose you for Gryffindor, didn't it? And where's Malfoy? In stinking Slytherin."

"You're a lot braver than you think, Neville, don't listen to Malfoy," Cassia added.

Neville smiled slightly.

"Thanks, guys...I think I'll go to bed...D'you want the card, Harry, you collect them, don't you?"

He walked away, and Harry looked down at the card.

"Dumbledore again," he said. "He was the first one I ever —"