Chapter 4 - Root of Asphodel

Cassia decided she would walk with Harry and Ron to each of their classes.

With this, she had to hear many shocked whispers about Harry.

The classes that they attended were interesting enough, except for History of Magic. Cassia got close to falling asleep more than one time, only being prevented by Hermione tapping her shoulder to wake her back up.

Days passed of classes and meeting oddball new teachers, and Friday came sooner than Cassia expected.

She was eating some porridge across from Ron and Harry as they talked about Snape and their unfortunate double Potions with the Slytherins.

She didn't know where Hermione was. Sadly, Harry and Ron didn't take to Hermione and her often ramblings well, so she didn't stay with the group often.

Cassia was broken out of her slightly tired thinking by Hedwig, Harry's owl, swooping down to bring Harry a note.

After Harry scribbled down a response for Hedwig to return to the sender, Cassia spoke up.

"What was it?"

"A note from Hagrid, he invited me to tea at three. Would you want to go with me?" he asked. "Oh, and you too Ron, of course," he quickly added on.

"Yeah!" both Ron and Cassia said at the same time.

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

As it turned out, Will hadn't been lying about Potions class being in the dungeons.

Snape had shoulder-length black hair and constantly had a bored expression on his face. While he read off the attendance, he stopped slightly at Cassia's name, looking up at her curiously.

"Who are your parents...Bright?" he said in his monotone voice, a questioning tone at her last name.

"Wendy and Finn Bright," she replied defensively.

"Ah," he murmured, seeming unsatisfied with the answer.

He continued with the names until he reached Harry's.

"Ah yes, Harry Potter. Our new — celebrity."

Malfoy and his friends laughed behind their hands.

Cassia drew a picture of a toad on a piece of parchment, choosing to tune out Professor Snape.

"Potter!" Snape snapped, bringing Cassia out of her thoughts. "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

"I don't know, sir," Harry said. Hermione's hand shot into the air.

"Tut, tut — fame clearly isn't everything," Snape said, his face twisting into a sneer.

"Let's try again. Potter, where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?"

"From a goat's stomach, Professor," Cassia said suddenly. "Obviously."

Snape snapped his attention to the girl, an angry look on his face. A few people laughed.

"Well...it's too bad I didn't ask you, Miss Bright. You're just as snappy as your mother was. A point from Gryffindor. Now," he said, shifting his attention back to Harry, "what is the difference, Potter, between monkshood and wolfsbane?"

Hermione was now standing, reaching her hand even higher than before.

"I don't know," Harry said quietly, "I think Hermione does though, why don't you ask her?"

"Sit down," Snape snapped at Hermione.

Snape put everyone into pairs to mix a simple potion to cure boils, pairing Harry and Cassia together. Their potion was looking fine, but that didn't stop Snape from criticizing them. He criticized everyone, in fact, except for Malfoy.