Chapter 5 - Signed Photos

Your first lesson will be today at 8 p.m.

I would advise you not to miss it.

S. Snape

It was only the first day back at Hogwarts, and she would already have to spend extra time with Snape. Cassia sighed heavily and tilted the note towards Harry for him to read it.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Cassie."

A moment later, something large and grey fell into Hermione's milk jug, dousing all of them in milk. 

"Errol!"Ron said. 

He pulled the owl out, setting him down on the table. 

"Oh, no -" Ron and Cassia both said.

"It's all right, he's still alive," Hermione said, prodding the owl.

"No, Hermione, that's- that's a Howler," Cassia said, grimacing slightly.

"You'd better open it, Ron," Neville said timidly. "It'll be worse if you don't. My gran sent me one once, and I ignored it and it was horrible."

"What's a Howler?" Harry asked. 

"Ron, just open it," Cassia said, nervously. 

Ron, his hand shaking, slit open the envelope. Cassia quickly stuffed fingers into her ears and urged Harry to do the same, but she could still hear every word that it screamed. 

"-STEALING THE CAR, I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SURPRISED IF THEY'D EXPELLED YOU, YOU WAIT TILL I GET HOLD OF YOU, I DON'T SUPPOSE YOU STOPPED TO THINK WHAT YOUR FATHER AND I WENT THROUGH WHEN WE SAW IT WAS GONE. WHEN WE GOT A LETTER FROM DUMBLEDORE LAST NIGHT, I THOUGHT YOUR FATHER WOULD DIE OF SHAME, WE DIDN'T BRING YOU UP TO BEHAVE LIKE THIS, YOU AND HARRY COULD BOTH HAVE DIED. I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED! YOUR FATHER'S FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT, AND IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT BACK HOME!"

The silence that followed was deafening. Cassia slowly pulled her fingers out of her ears as the envelope burst into flames. Ron was slumped in his seat, and only the top of his head could be seen.

"Well, I don't know what you expected, Ron, but you-" Hermione started.

"Don't tell me I deserved it," Ron snapped.

Cassia was suddenly very thankful that Mrs. Weasley pushed her through the platform before everyone else.

McGonagall began hurrying along the Gryffindor table, handing out the course schedules. Cassia got hers, and they first had double Herbology with the Hufflepuffs.

The quartet made their way to the greenhouses, and as they approached it, saw the rest of the class waiting outside for Professor Sprout. They had only just joined them when she walked into view with Professor Lockhart. She was holding a bundle of bandages, and Cassia noticed that in the distance, the Whomping Willow had several of its branches in slings. 

"Oh, hello there!" Professor Lockhart called to the students, beaming. "Just been showing Professor Sprout the right way to doctor a Whomping Willow! But I don't want you running away with the idea that I'm better at Herbology than she is! I just happen to have met several of these exotic plants on my travels..."

"Greenhouse three today, chaps!" Professor Sprout interrupted, looking severely annoyed.

"He can certainly talk," Cassia said quietly, and Harry snorted next to her.

They walked to greenhouse three, which they all knew harbored more dangerous plants.  Professor Sprout unlocked the door, and Cassia was hit with the smell of earth and the aroma of giant flowers hanging overhead from the ceiling.