Trevor held his drink up. "She's the designated driver tonight."

"Hmm." I took a bigger sip of my drink, then licked my lips, wondering why he hadn't offered to at least go with her. Instead of voicing that, I asked, "So, what does she drive?"

"Huh?"

"What kind of car does your girlfriend have? Something sporty like Julian?"

He laughed. "No. She drives an SUV."

"Oh." I nodded, and took another drink, watching him over the rim. "How's school?"

"Same old." He shrugged. "I hear it gets harder next year, so I'm trying to enjoy downtime when I get it this year."

"Yeah? Like going to high school parties?"

"Yeah, I'm regressing."

"Go on any trips?"

"No, not really."

"I thought I saw you in Wickenton."

"Really?"

I nodded. "Yeah, a couple of times."

"I didn't see you."

"No?' I drank the rest of my drink and debated pouring another, then figured there was no reason not to. Looking down, I watched Trevor out of the corner of my eye as I poured. "I could have sworn it was you."

"I was there," he said. "Once. I stayed a few days."

"What for?"

"Car shopping."

"Oh! That's right." I turned back to Trevor and nodded, bringing my cup to my lips. "I thought I saw in a car like Julian's, but it was the wrong colour."

"Yeah... I did have another reason to be there."

I watched him, waiting. When he didn't say anything, I said, "Go ahead."

Trevor looked around and swallowed. "It's too loud here to talk, but I would like to tell you more."

"Well, I'm not taking you upstairs."

"No, I—Let's meet for coffee. Tomorrow."

"What?"

"Let's meet for coffee tomorrow," he said again, nodding. "Just the two of us so we can talk."

"You want to go on a date?" I blinked, unsure I heard him right.

Trevor held out his hand and slowly smiled, wrinkles appearing beside his brown eyes. "Let me take you for lunch. We'll talk."

My lips parted, but no words formed. I drank the rest of my drink in three swallows and poured another.

Trevor shifted his weight and his smile faded. "I promise, it's just lunch."

"I, uh..." I shook my head, swallowed, then met his gaze. Three drinks in less than five minutes must have made an impact because I couldn't think of what to say. "I don't really date."

"What about that guy you came here with?"

"Calin? No." I shook my head, denying it even though I could sense exactly where he was and couldn't even see him. Like right now, he was on his way back from the bathroom but had stopped to talk. I'd gone on dates with Calin, of course, but we mostly just hung out. Remembering my nerves when we had dates, I preferred hanging out. Dating was too much work, being your best instead of yourself. "We're just friends."

"Seemed like more."

"You were going to ask me out even if I had a boyfriend?" I asked, wondering about his girlfriend, and I hoped I'd misread the request.