Part Two, Chapter Twenty: Mother

Start from the beginning

There was a puff of smoke, and her mother was in front of her. She had a hand on her hip and a smile on her face, but Charlie was nowhere to be found.

"Hello Beatrice." She said.

Beatrice tried to respond, but all that came out was an animalistic snarl and a rearing back of her fist.

Her mother dismissively waved her hand and sent her stumbling back on her feet.

"Please, Beatrice. I'm trying to have an adult discussion with you. Can't you just control your volatile emotions for just one moment?"

Beatrice tried not to let her get under her skin anymore.

"Where the fuck is Charlie!?" She shouted. "I swear to God, if you've done anything to her, not only will you die today, you will suffer the whole time I'm killing you."

"Well, if you think you can calm yourself for just a minute, I can take you to her."

"Why should I trust you?" Beatrice shouted. "Why would I ever trust you?"

Beatrice threw another punch her way, but was again knocked back with just a flick of her hand and an amused smirk.

"Do you want to see your little girlfriend or not?"

Beatrice relaxed out of a fighting stance and crossed her arms.

"Take me to her."

Beatrice knew that she was probably playing right into whatever plan her mother had put together, but she had to know that Charlie was okay. That was the most important thing in the world to her right now.

Her mother gave her a satisfied smile, and grabbed her by the forearm. In an instant, she was transported to a small office. With the windows and doors boarded up.

Charlie was sitting in a rusty old office chair, spinning around in circles like she was bored. In her lap, a small yellow puppy was chewing on her index finger.

"Beatrice!"

Her eyes lit up, and she jumped from the seat. Beatrice ran over to her and pulled her into a tight hug.

"How did she get you? What did she do to you?" Beatrice asked.

Charlie opened her mouth, but she wasn't the one who answered.

"It was easy. I came up to her door with a puppy and she just kind of came with me." Her mother said.

Beatrice turned to Charlie and frowned.

"Charlie, what the hell?!"

Charlie's cheeks turned pink.

"That's not the whole story! She said she was going to kill the puppy if I didn't come, and I could keep it if I did!"

Charlie held the puppy close for emphasis, and it nipped at the collar of her shirt as it excitedly wagged its tail.

"Charlie! Still!"

"I named him Butter." Charlie said offhandedly. "I love him already."

Beatrice bit her lip and looked Charlie over. She didn't seem to be hurt or scared, considering the circumstances.

"Has she done anything to hurt you?" Beatrice asked, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." Charlie said. "She hasn't hurt me or anything yet."

"Yet?" Her mother spoke up behind her with an incredulous scoff, "I already promised Beatrice I wasn't going to hurt you. What, do you think I'm a liar or something?"