Epilouge

-a couple weeks later-

The next attacks were successful.
After studying the map again under the moonlight, it had been clear that we had taken out over half of the fighters. Only a few bases remained in the Hewn City, which Rhy's troops took out. Thesan and Helion had returned to their own courts, so not too much attention was drawn. But they had helped us immensely. We might still be fighting the Night Court rebels otherwise. Nevertheless, all the bases had been quietly eliminated without too much attention within the Night Court. Rhys had also dealt with Ashbury yesterday and had used his Demanti powers, once again discovering the truth about the full extent of the attack. I was reassured to know that we were not facing any further attacks and that, with Keir's death, much of the unrest he had laid had receded in the Hewn City. But this, of course, did not make up any less for the lack of the Hewn City steward's place. We would have to appoint someone new for that, someone who had experience with the city and the subjects. But for now, that problem would lie in the future.
For now, Velaris was saved and the Night Court was freed from Keir and his planned rebellion. And for the first time in my life, I felt I could breathe a sigh of relief. Since Keir's death, the bargain we had made had also disappeared. The tattoo that had sealed it, had disappeared from my skin, the circle that had been around my ankle like a shackle even then was no longer visible. Sometimes I still couldn't believe that I was free of him and that he could never ask for me again.
It was also good to know that my mission, which was why the inner circle had first contacted me, was complete. It had felt like a success. I knew we had been through a lot, but we had managed to get rid of Keir once and for all and put the information together and protect Velaris. And I was very happy that we had turned this fate of Velaris around for the better.

I just walked through Az and my flat, which we had rebuilt since we no longer had to fear attacks. It was slow going, but I was very happy with how our little flat was turning out. It gave me a finite sense of belonging and that Az and I were getting a chance to live a life together. I was sorting the rest of the books onto the shelf when I felt Az behind me. I looked up so I could see his face above me and smiled.
'What's up?', I asked as Az buried his face in my neck.
'Estrella has written', he murmured, kissing the tender skin of my throat. I turned and his arms found my hips. He pushed me against the shelf, lifted my legs and brought them around his hips. I smiled mischievously at him before his lips found mine.
'I love you', he breathed against my lips and I kissed him again.
'I love you', I whispered back and withdrew the letter he presented to me. Az still held me pressed against the wall, he didn't seem to mind holding me in the air. I opened the letter while Az put his lips to my neck. I arched into his touch so he had better room to press his lips against my skin. With my other hand I read the letter. Estrella and I had started writing to each other again since Keir was dead and the rebellion over. A lot had happened since we had last seen each other, so we had a lot to tell each other in the coming weeks.

I began to read. And then I began to squeal. Az looked down at me with a grin as I put my hand over my mouth.
He let go of me and gently sat me on the floor, watching my excitement.
'They're getting married!' I exclaimed, jumping up and down in my place.
'They're getting married, Az! And we're invited!' I threw myself into his arms and laughed. It was a nice feeling to be able to share this joy with someone. And I was really happy, for Estrella and for their happiness.
'When are they getting married?' Az asked as he buried his face in my hair.
I quickly skimmed the letter. It was in three days.
'Three days', I thought, briefly considering how much time I had to get the gift and the dress and the reply. Three days was nothing. But I also knew that the mail got stuck between the different courts from time to time. Apparently she had sent the letter earlier, but it had only arrived now.
'Oh God! I need a present and a dress- Three days? That's far too short!' I protested and sighed into Az's embrace. He just laughed softly.
'I think we'll get everything perfect just in time', he murmured and kissed me again. Since we were together and getting everything ready in the flat, he had become much more affectionate, not that I minded. It brought me joy to see how excited he was about the flat and everything around it, and it was also nice to see how into it he was. I loved it when he showed sides of himself that he didn't reveal to anyone else. He was happier than I had ever seen him and it hurt my heart to know that he hadn't always felt that way.
I looked into his eyes and smiled.
And I knew that Az was my home. He would always be. And I was happy and so damn glad to have found him.
I kissed him again.
'I love you', I whispered.
'I love you too', he murmured against my lips before I wriggled out of his grip and danced around our new flat.
It was going to be one hell of a life, I was sure of it.

And the future would look nothing but bright.

-END-