Chapter Eight

I was mortified, humiliated, ashamed, you name it. Liam just blatantly insulted me for something that I had absolutely no control of. When I felt my tears threatening to spill down my cheeks I ducked my head and started to play with my necklace. It was my mothers; a small, silver triangle filled with clear rhinestones. Suddenly, the memory of my parents brought me to tears once again and I had to bite my lip to keep my emotions in check. Liam looked like a mix between sickly satisfied and deeply pained by my reaction. Still, he made no attempt to apologize. Niall and Louis just cleared their throats and tried to carry on the conversation, but Harry took my hand and gave it a small squeeze. Touched by his small, comforting gesture, I returned the squeeze and gave him a small smile. He leaned in and began to speak in a low whisper so only we could hear.

"Give him time."

I could feel Liam's jealous eyes on my back. I felt oddly torn between begging him for forgiveness or sobbing into Harry's arms. Forgiveness for what? You and Harry aren't even in a real relationship. Either way, I felt like too much of an emotional wreck for such an early hour. I decided both ideas were shit and instead leaned back in my seat and began to doze off.

I woke up to someone stroking my arm. Someone's long fingers caressed the length of my forearm and shoulder sending shudders down my spine. A pair of lips were lowered to my ear and their voice rocked my core.

"Good morning sunshine, Australia awaits," Harry's deep voice slurred. However gentle his wake up call had been, I still jumped out of my slumber and hurried out of my seat, which Harry got a good laugh out of. The rest of the boys had already left the plane, and Harry and I were being beckoned by a large burly man I recognized as Paul, the tour manager. Right before we reached the exit, the burly man stopped me and looked directly in my eyes.

"There are fans and there are paps here. This isn't ideal, but it is your first sighting as a couple. Your acting career has officially begun, so don't fuck it up," he said in a firm voice. I straightened my spine and met his gaze. He could control my image, but he wasn't going to take my pride. I was going to do this relationship my way. I flashed an innocent smile at Paul and grabbed Harry's hand.

"Well then, let's get this show on the road," I said as I led Harry out of the jet. The glare of the sun and the cameras momentarily blinded me, but I quickly recovered and began to wave at the sea of people lining the fence around the jet. The crowd erupted in cheers as Harry joined me on the steps and we made our way down hand in hand.

"Kiss my cheek," I whispered through my teeth.

"What?" Harry sputtered.

"You heard me, kiss my cheek," I ordered again. If management was going to build my career off of Harry, then I was going to make Harry look head over heels in love with me. I controlled this game.

What I didn't control or prepare myself for was the electric shock that Harry's kiss sent rippling through my body as his lips connected with my skin. It took everything in my power not to let my knees give out as we stopped and posed for the cameras. I was quick to cover my shocked face with a fake look of ease, as if his loving gestures were a regular thing. Oh if they only knew.

The crowd roared again at our first public display of affection, but before the reporters could ask any more questions we were hurried into a van by a squad of security guards. As soon as the doors shut I dropped Harry's hand and without looking, plopped down onto someone's lap. In a moment of sheer embarrassment I quickly fell into the empty seat next to it and looked up sheepishly at my poor victim. Of course, I was looking at Liam.

"Shit, I'm sorry I didn't even see you there," I said.

"Yeah, you never do," He spit back. I opened my mouth to retaliate but Harry cut me off.